yellow staining on liner

Jun 14, 2018
Long Island NY
As new pool owner since last summer I have yet to learn the TFP method in regards to chemical treatment but my reading has begun. With that said, I am still at the mercy of the local pool store for water tests even though I have test strips and a cheapo amazon test kit.

Brief overview......moved into a new home last summer and the pool was open and crystal clear when we moved in. I started battling a green algae problem several weeks after we took over because of some severe rain for several days and I didnt have the time to maintain the pool. However, after 2 weeks of scrubbing, chemicals and vacuuming to waste many times, the pool was clear for the remainder of the summer. I was using pucks in the chlorinator at the direction of the pool store and was told to keep it full at all times (like 8-10 pucks with the dial on almost max :confused:). When I personally closed the pool in late October, I recall the chlorine levels being very very high right before covering it. I believe the number was around 16ppm for free chlorine. Nevertheless, the pool was closed and I just opened it this week.

So after I pulled the cover the other day, the water is clear but there seems to be yellow staining along the edges/sides of the liner and on the white steps. I hoped it was some type of algae but It does not come off when I scrub the liner (even with some serious elbow grease). Since the steps are obviously not covered in the liner, I put a wire wheel on my cordless drill just to see if I could remove the yellow staining. It worked but this is obviously not the way to clean the liner. My brief google search suggests that the yellowing could be from excessive amounts of iron but the water test from the store shows iron at 0.

I'm wondering if the extremely high chlorine levels when I closed my pool caused the liner to be stained. Is that possible?

Until I get a proper test kit and learn the TFP method, Im stuck with what I have now. Ive attached the print out from the pool store from Friday (and yes, I added the alkalinity and hardness they suggested on the print out). The test strip pictures are from this evening.

While waiting for your test kit (I assume you have ordered it) keep the FC at 5 ppm using your drop test. Throw away the test strips and pool store results.

Let us know when you get your kit by posting up a full set of test results.

waiting for test kit and ordered a small bottle of vitamin c tabs to test the sock method. Regardless, the pics above should give a good reference to what is in the water.

In the pics with the steps, the second step was just like the third but I used a wire wheel when I opened the pool and before I refilled it. This stain is really on there and all over the liner as well.

Has anyone ever heard of high levels of chlorine staining a liner? I only ask because Ive seen bleach turn materials yellow before

it's it's been several days since I spot treated those two areas with vitamin C in a sock and the spots are still extremely clean. I've read through the ascorbic acid threads and have ordered the supplies I need but I'm curious if I could just spot treat the sections of the pool that have turned yellow instead of actually going through with the whole treatment. Does this sound like a wise idea?

Perhaphs spot treat and use the sequestreant while the iron is in suspension?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.