Yellow stain that won't brush off

pfitz4

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2018
North Alabama
I have a new yellowish-green stain in the bottom corner of my deep end. The stain appeared overnight. I added a bag of salt in this area of the pool yesterday. I noticed it this morning and thought it looked like algae, but it did not brush off at all. It is within a 3-4 foot area...imagine a glass of tea spilled onto the liner floor but more yellow than brown. Could this be related to adding the salt? I have never seen anything like this before (I tried to take a photo but I can't capture it with the light reflecting off the pool surface). Any ideas what caused this and how to treat it?

FC 9
CYA 60
pH 7.8
TA 70
CH 80
Salt 3200
Temp 70

Could this be related to adding the salt?
Very possible. Some salt products have some metals in them (iron). I would try rubbing some Vitamin C tablets on the area to see if it confirms iron.

Reactions: pfitz4
That's unfortunate, but I agree it does look like an iron stain. I used the same good brand of salt I always have. Probably won't brave the cold water just yet to try the Vitamin C test! I'll go ahead and research iron stain removal.

You can try placing some Vitamin C tabs (crushed) in a thin sock or nylon, then tie to the end of a pole to save you a chilly dip. If it's just that localized area where the salt sat, you might get away with treating just that area later. We can give you tips.

Reactions: pfitz4
You can try placing some Vitamin C tabs (crushed) in a thin sock or nylon, then tie to the end of a pole to save you a chilly dip. If it's just that localized area where the salt sat, you might get away with treating just that area later. We can give you tips.
I confirmed it is an iron stain. It was Clorox brand salt, and another poster said that brand has been known to have iron contaminants. I wonder why it just happened with this bag, when I've been using this brand for years.

Next time, should I brush the salt around to dissolve faster? Or would that make the stain appear on a larger area?

The stain is only in that corner of the pool where I dumped the salt. Any tips for spot-treating the area would be very helpful.

Next time, should I brush the salt around to dissolve faster?
Yeah. you might have just gotten unlucky with one bag. I generally move the salt around every few minutes just so it's not sitting in one spot for a long time. Next time you might consider solar salt as it's usually very pure.

Thanks, I will do that. And I will stay away from Clorox brand.

I read on the forums about using a dish wand to apply the ascorbic acid directly to the stain. Will crushed vitamin c tablets work just as well? Thinking that would be easier to find.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.