ShinDiors

Jul 16, 2021
Northern VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TPFers, I'm a new pool owner just bit the bullet to renovate the inherited pool (safety covered for 3 years), new plaster and new fill water. This morning, just noticed a yellow stain (thick hair like) on the steps in shallow end, that could not be brushed off. I read on the forum and used a v-c pill (500mg ones, from Costco) directly on it, rubbed a little. The color seems faded a little but stain itself seems a little wider. Surface of the stain feels rougher than the plaster surrounding surface.

I'm waiting for my K2006 kit so no direct measurement numbers yet from myself, but I took my water to leslies last Sun and they did tested 0.3ppm Cu in it. Their results show i have low FC, low CYA (5), TA 108; PH 8, CH 150. Since then, I have been alternating with 56% Cal Hypo, LC and 4 pucks of Clorox for Chlorination. I added some MA (using the poolmath tool) trying to bring down the PH to 7.5 (based on their 8 reading and the fact that I used Cal Hypo which may raise PH a little). Other than that, nothing was added into the pool. Daily brush *2, and skimming with net. I did have some debris and small leaves one of two in the deeper end. I'm refraining adding CYA before my test kit arrives this Sat, and the fact that I may need to rely on some pucks for a week out-of-town early next month.

Sorry for sounding anxious, but does it sound like Iron/rust stain or others? Do I need to keep the VC on much longer?

Thanks a lot.

st.JPG

Your Clorox pucks probably say "blue" on the box which are code words for copper. You should immediately stop using the Clorox pucks and anything else saying blue on the label. They are adding copper to your pool water causing your staining.

Your Clorox pucks probably say "blue" on the box which are code words for copper. You should immediately stop using the Clorox pucks and anything else saying blue on the label. They are adding copper to your pool water causing your staining.

So that is a copper stain?

Also, you are right it is Clorox xtra blue pucks, which is the only type i could even find after driving around for couple of Lowe's, HD, Walmart. I'm not sure what type of pucks the Pool company put in (he put in 4)

If that is bad, what should I do for the week long vacation later on? ....

Place a chlorine puck that does not have copper on the yellow stain for no more then 2 minutes and see if it is organic.

Place a chlorine puck that does not have copper on the yellow stain for no more then 2 minutes and see if it is organic.

Chlorine pucks are in crazy shortage now in my area. The clorox ones were the only thing I could get last Sunday after driving around multiple stores.

BTW, what pucks do you recommend that is copper free?

So that is a copper stain?

Dunno, could be one developing.

Also, you are right it is Clorox xtra blue pucks, which is the only type i could even find after driving around for couple of Lowe's, HD, Walmart. I'm not sure what type of pucks the Pool company put in (he put in 4)

If that is bad, what should I do for the week long vacation later on? ....

Find trichlor pucks at a pool store probably at a higher price.

Use cal-hypo.

Get a SWG.

Show it to the company that did the replaster job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.