London, Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
10-year pool owner. Have relied on pool stores, but taken a minimal approach to additives. New to TFP.

All summer, I have been fighting algae. Recently, I determined that it was most likely yellow algae, based on how often/how quickly it came back. So, a couple of days ago, I treated it with sodium bromide, with instructions to keep chlorine at shock levels for 7 days. Initial research had showed this as effective, so it seemed like the right approach.

Then, today as I wait to be able to use the pool again, I found some posts on this site suggesting sodium bromide could cause permanent problems.

Have I done something I shouldn't have done?

I bought a TF Pro test kit today, but.ot won't be delivered for a week or more, since I'm in Canada and I have to use a forwarder.

TZ

:mad:!

I should have mentioned quantities, in case that matters. 2.2 lbs of Aqua Eliminator, which is 80-100% Sodium Bromide. Exact amount withheld as a "trade secret".

Any thoughts on how much water will I need to replace? And what are the implications of not doing that? New to this pesky algae thing....past years have only had mild problems that a simple shock fixed. But very frustrated to be at this point now, after 6-8 weeks of fighting with other methods!

Good morning. For you additional questions I'll defer to @Donldson. If he doesn't hop online today I'll ping another expert.
If I am doing the math right, that is about a 10 ppm bromide bank. Very significant. Unfortunately even as little as 1 ppm can cause issues, so I would suggest a nearly complete water exchange.

I'm on a trip so limited on time, but I'm sorry I don't have better news.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks all. I'm going to finish out the current treatment plan, then see what kind of impact this all has on chlorine use when I get the test kit. The pool liner is in it's 11th season. It's faded but otherwise in good shape. But if I have to replace the water anyway, perhaps I can push it off to next season and do it all at once. Only about 3-4 weeks of swimming season left here anyway...

Please let us know how the TF Pro kit delivery went, with respect to costs and customs. Many thanks!
Sure, @Eauclaire. I am using Shippsy for the first time, as they have a depot in my city. But they will also mail to your home address. The kit arrives to their Niagara Falls location on Thursday, so I should have it sometime next week, to know the total cost!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did your kit arrive on schedule? What was the total cost?
I just picked it up this afternoon. The company I used (Shippsy) took about a week to get it through customs and to London, Ontario from Niagara Falls. In addition to the purchase cost ($186 USD with a couple of add-ons) I paid only the HST and the forwarding fee. I had to upload the invoice and fill in some basic customs info. The test kit didn't fit their dropdown menu options, so I had to choose other, which meant I could had to authorize as much as an extra $40 for duty, but I assume most forwarders require something similar. The actual duty was $0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.