Yellow Mustard Algae help!

dm123

Dec 13, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Well, I have had a mustard algae problem all year. Our regular pool guy was out sick and we hired a different company to install a new pool liner. They did not do any bottom work and as a result there are small divets and places in the pool where algae gets in and it is impossible to get out even with lots of brushing.

Anyways, I was slamming and it was working. It would just come back often especially with all the rain we were getting. Before going on vacation, I sent my husband to buy some shock. We put 4 bags in. We got home a week later and the algae was bad! I thought it must have been bad weather, and we added 4 more bags. It was only the next day when that did not really work I decided to check the chlorine he bought (walmart off brand --- had never used it but it was all they had). It was di-chlor!! I got my pool water checked at pool store and CYA had gone from 40 to 149. We drained and refilled twice as we could and now it's down to 85. I plan to drain once more today and add some more fresh water to get it down a little further.

In the meantime, they told me to use a yellow algae treatment. I did this -- it was sodium bromide. It worked! For a week -- then algae came back. I shocked -- it would half die then just be right back and more of it.

Today they had me buy Yellow Out -- which is not sodium bromide but something else. I see i t's not recommended here, nor is the other stuff.

What should I do to tackle this issue?? I can't get my CYA level down despite only using hypo shock since the first week of August.

Other stats:
PH: 7.5
TA: 60
TC: 15
FC: 8
CYA: 85
TH: 200

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You have been pool stored. The sodium bromide has converted your pool into a bromine pool.

I think Yellow Out contains ammonium sulfate. That adds ammonia to your pool that consumes your chlorine and CYA.

At this point you need to drain your water out and put fresh water in to get rid of the bromine.

Last edited:
You have been pool stored. The sodium bromide has converted your pool into a bromine pool.

I think Yellow Out contains ammonium sulfate. That adds ammonia to your pool that consumes your chlorine and CYA.

At this point you need to drain your water out and put fresh water in to get rid of the bromine.

Really not feasible for me to do that— a complete drain. I’m about to vacuum to waste and add fresh waster to get cya down and maybe some of this algae out.

is there any other way?
I only used the recommended amount for the sodium bromide treatment, but the test strips are showing high level of bromide when I test it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.