Yellow discoloration on tiles around spa

svho

Dec 14, 2022
New Zealand
Anyone know what this yellow discoloration is? Only happens around the tiles around our spa (not our pool) and so is coming from the spa water/reaction.
Our spa uses a bromine dispenser.
The tiles are marble.
The yellow coloring doesn't come off easily. I can usually only get it off by using a ton of pumice stone. Household bleach doesn't really work.
IMG_3260.jpg

Last edited:
Sodium bromide is yellow.

Yellow is from high bromine levels.

Sodium bromide is yellow.

Yellow is from high bromine levels.
Thanks, so in other words, my bromine dispenser is working too much?
I've attached what I have below. It's currently set on level 2 out of 5 and produces a slight stream of water from the top, down the bottom, through the tablets, and into the system. The pump runs roughly 4-5 hours each day. The spa is about 2000 liters.IMG_3261.jpg

How do you test your bromine level.

Here’s a discussion about bromine and yellow…

Have you read…

Reactions: svho
I got my water professionally tested at a shop and everything was spot on apparently. I had been using strips, which I have learned are a waste of time.

Anyway, the calcium hardness was WAY down based on some VERY heavy rain we have been having (dilution).

Could that be linked to the yellow tile staining?

No, low calcium does not cause staining.

The yellow is likely from bromine in some form.

We don’t have confidence in pool store testing accuracy.

See about getting your own test kit like the Aussies get from Clear Choice Labs.

I don’t think you need to have high bromine to get staining.

Reactions: dfwnoob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Elemental bromine is yellow, but any dry compounds would be bromide, which I don't think would be yellow.

Try ascorbic acid on the stains.
Thanks, as in Vitamin C right? Will try and source some.
Do you have a cartridge filter?

If yes, can you show a picture of the cartridge?
Yep, I do. I will take a shot of it and post here later in the week.
If it might help, our kids wear a ton of sunscreen?
Thanks!

Do you have a cartridge filter?

If yes, can you show a picture of the cartridge?
Please see attached.

IMG_3339.jpg

I also tried a liquid PH test and the result was purple. Which I have read can mean that sanitizer levels are off the chart!?

One more thing - if this is a new spa and I haven't changed the water for 4 months, could that be the issue?

The installers told me how to do the pool, but not the spa - silly question I know!

From what I read online, you should change water every 3-4 months. In fact I am off to buy a cheap pump now to drain it.

Then I guess I will need to "reprime" or balance it again with all the chemicals.

Thanks for your ongoing help!

Did you try vitamin C?
Not yet, TBH I've already bought so many different things trying to remove these stains... I have some pumice stone on the way that I know works 100%.

My plan is to drain the spa over the coming days and start from scratch. It was all going so well until recently! I am hopeful that it's simply because the water got too old.

You don't have any vitamin C at home?

Aren't you terrified about getting scurvy?

I know that I am.

In any case, vitamin C would help diagnose the problem without damaging the stone with an abrasive pumice stone.

Elemental bromine is yellow, but any dry compounds would be bromide, which I don't think would be yellow.

Try ascorbic acid on the stains.
After replacing the spa water entirely, bromine is once again off the charts after just 2 weeks. I am removing my bromine tabs, keeping the filter and UV thingee on its usual timer, and keeping the cover off for the next week to see what happens. The excess bromine should burn off?

Also, the yellow stains came back so I have some vitamin C on the way to test.

The timing of the stains + bromine off the charts makes me think the vit C could work!

I don't know what the stain is.

Maybe contact a local stone seller to see what they recommend.

Maybe a solvent of some type like maybe MEK, Acetone or possibly ethanol, which is Ethyl Alcohol.

Test in an inconspicuous spot to make sure that the stone is not damaged.

You can try something like Everclear 190 Proof if you have that or maybe a 200 proof (100%) lab quality alcohol.

1681337828362.png
mi-everclear-190-proof-ad7a04ed10839544.jpeg

Attachments

• 1681337808131.png
    1681337808131.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.