Yellow Algae Treatment - Turn the Pump Off?

Aug 7, 2009
Long time pool owner now based in SW FL, but currently have a service that maintains my saltwater, in-ground pool (18K gal).

The question: Has something changed in the treatment of yellow algae where the pool pump is shut off for a 24 hour period? And the pool is not brushed prior to treatment?

When I called the company, they said they were using something called 'rolling thunder' and it calls for no pump, no brushing for a day. After which they'll come by and brush it, turning the pool pump back on.

Prior to a few years ago, I'd maintained my own pools and when facing yellow algae, I brushed the walls, treated the pool and ran the pump continuously to ensure good distribution. I've never heard of turning off a pool pump in the process of treating yellow algae. And never heard of not brushing it prior to treatment. Have I missed some evolution of algae treatment?

I would not let a 'service' add something to my pool that I have no idea what it is. Worst case they add Sodium Bromide and you have to drain the pool.

Mustard algae is treated just like normal algae, follow the SLAM Process. After you pass all three criteria, you follow the Mustard Algae protocol as described in Mustard Algae - Trouble Free Pool

Thanks very much for the quick response. I called the company back and they said that, "rolling thunder" was an internal term they used to describe the process of putting acid, chlorine and algaecide in the shallow end (separately, but at the same relative time).

I thought that algaecides were supposed to be added after the pool had been shocked and dropped the FC to a lower level. I guess, what's done is done at this point.

For posterity, I'll follow up tomorrow and post the results here.

Hope you do not have a heater. Or that may be why they are not using the pump. I suspect they crash the pH as many think a low pH makes the chlorine work better. True, if you have NO CYA in the water. With CYA, it has little effect.

Be sure they tell you the chemical compound name of the algaecide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.