Wye manifold vs tees

Jun 22, 2013
Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
What is a better way to go when taking two 2” return lines into a single 2” pipe leading my to the pump—a wye manifold or tees?

I ordered a wye manifold and the entire manifold is smaller than I had imagined, as are the openings inside. The openings are essentially a couple rounded off triangles measuring 2” long and 1.5” at the widest point.

Attachments

• IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 12
What is a better way to go when taking two 2” return lines into a single 2” pipe leading my to the pump—a wye manifold or tees?
A 3 way diverter so you can isolate the lines. Use sweeps for the 90s but be sure to not get DWV fittings (drain waste vent) which is usually what calls for sweeps.

The collars on pressure fittings are twice as deep.

Screenshot_20240514_185221_Gallery.jpg

I’ve got sweeps on order (not DWV) and had planned to use a two port Jandy valve on each return line. Using a single 3 port Jandy valve as you mentioned would eliminate the WYE manifold though, as well as get rid of the need for the 2 port Jandy valves on each return.

If I were to use the WYE manifold shown in the pic in my first post, would the flow be restricted a significant amount?

Last edited:
If I were to use the WYE manifold shown in the pic in my first post, would the flow be restricted a significant amount?
Nothing appreciable IMO. People use reducers all the time with equipment swaps or difficult to repair damage.

Using a single 3 port Jandy valve as you mentioned would eliminate the WYE manifold though, as well as get rid of the need for the 2 port Jandy valves on each return.
And be cheaper because the 3 way is about $10 more than the single 2 way. (y)

Reactions: Transy416