Wrong depth...please help!

kwest

Silver Supporter
Nov 25, 2019
Round Rock/Austin
Hi experts,
I would really appreciate some guidance here. I’m really upset with my pool builder right now for a couple reason, but mainly because of the depth in our sun bench being wrong.
it was supposed to be 18” from coping and 12” of water. Well...we got 9” from the Gunite to where the coping will be.
The builder is telling us they want to chip it out using a “chipping hammer” to correct it and it will not cause any structural damage.
At this point our confidence is shaken a bit (we corrected this issue on the final plan review, we corrected it with the excavator and here we are) and we are concerned with damaging the shell.
I read another post from last year on a similar issue and it was mixed opinions. So...opening it up again. I’d really appreciate any guidance you all have.
Thanks,
Kathy

Thanks Jim! Just got off the phone with the builder and they are assuring us that it will be ok. They just shot today, so they said especially if they get in there tomorrow to chip it out that it won’t have any impact as it hasn’t cured yet.
?

It isn't ideal but theres alot of material there so it was prepped for the right dimension just too much concrete. If you do it, do it asap. They would hopefully saw cut relief channels and then chip, you dont want them going nuts with just a demo hammer. What happened to the plumbing in the sidewalk in the pre gunite pics? I dont see the lower 2 stubouts anywhere

Reactions: kwest
The two stubouts are there, just not showing in the pic I posted (but we did run out there to be sure...lol).
We are concerned about the pipe near the top, seems like they will have to move that pipe to go down another 6”...seems like that will be yet another complication. Apparently the plumber and gunite team worked off an incorrect plan as you can see how the plumber raised the pipe up. Really frustrated and concerned!

Attachments

• 7AD103AE-3AD4-4C91-A37A-B85F527C92D9.jpeg
    7AD103AE-3AD4-4C91-A37A-B85F527C92D9.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 6E126F28-9B81-40D8-A4E5-83B6A1586925.jpeg
    6E126F28-9B81-40D8-A4E5-83B6A1586925.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 33

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then like Jimmy said - relief cuts and chip it out.

If it was mine I'd keep it as is and ask for a credit. 6-9 inches is idea for a shelf (for me at least) that is unless you have some custom built Brazilian hardwood chairs built by your great grandfather that were made just for this purpose.

I just noticed in the pre-gunite pic the PVC pipe had a 90 bend up and then again out. In the after pic there is a second pipe next to it that wasnt there. Depending on what they did plumbing wise it may be a royal pain to cut in and adjust that pipe. It looks by the pics that the plumber took that pipe and Teed off of it maybe? depends on what you plan on using the shelf for, that makes it worth it or not to you

We had the same issue. they ended up cutting and chipping out 12" x 12" sections for over a week. Ours was only 7" deep after they shot the gunite, now it has a little over 9"' of water and you can't tell there was ever an issue.

Thanks everyone! The intention of this areas was for my two big dogs to lounge in the water. My parents have an area that is 12” of water and my doodles love to lay there while we are in the pool. 6” of water won’t do much for them, so we really wanted 12”. The pool builder has promised to make this right. I have asked for the plan to correct in writing along with a written warranty of this work as well. We are meeting Monday with gunite super, our super and the construction manager to decide how best to proceed. I’m guessing we will end up somewhere in between 6” and 12”...cause I do not want to get into having pipes moved and rebar issues. That doesn’t make me happy, but we are not willing to compromise the shell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.