Wrap pipes for cold weather

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Does anyone have any recommendation on the best way to wrap pipes. I live in Oklahoma and it can get below freezing but not too often. It is usually only gets to about 20 on a cold day. I have my equipment covered with tarp that helps, but i have a couple of pipes that hold water and I am looking for a way to keep them from freezing at around 20. Is it best to wrap with regular house insulation or use some kind of insulation tape.

Thanks for any advice

Have you winterized? I assume you haven't. Here is some good info on freeze protection...

I have not winterized because I have a hot tub that is connected which I like to use in the winter and I don't have many trees. Also, my wife likes to hear and see the water spilling over from the hot tub and fountain.

Thanks for the thread, I may winterize next year because I adjusted my pipes so that I can turn a few valves now and run just the hot tub.

As you can see from this picture New photo by Tate Goodman

Their are two pipes in the back that take the water from the spa pump and route it back through the filter and heater. When it gets really cold I can run both pumps but if I do the water in those two pipes sits there and does not move and is more prone to freezing. These are the two that I am wanting to find the best material to wrap and keep warm.

I purchased some pipe insulation from the local big-box hardware store. The kind that's about 6-8' long with a long slit down the side so you can open it up and slip it around a pipe. Various diameter sizes. I can wrap it with a piece of duct tape if needed.

Reactions: Crystalhogg
Insulation retains heat for a certain time but, eventually, it become ineffective to prevent freezing. If you have more than a day or so below freezing, you'll need heating tape if there's no flow through the pipes and they aren't winterized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.