Wow time to open!

Looks like highs in the mid-80s the back half of this week. Friday is officially our grand-opening date. I peaked under the cover yesterday and water is almost to normal levels and i can still see the bottom.
Yes our annual one or two day warm up in April then we settle back to cool temps until June! I heated it up for a swim last year about the same time for one day. Gas man loved me for that one day heat up water to 87 degrees. Hmm prices are way higher this year, decisions decisions.

We had a month-long trip planned that we’ve had to reschedule, so I’ll be opening in the next week or 2. Our pool runs all winter with a cover, so it’s never really closed, but it doesn’t get brushed while the cover is on. I’ve kept FC in the 8-10 range all winter after SLAMMING just prior to closing, so I’m hoping the opening day cleaning is a little less arduous than prior years. Cleaned the filter a couple of weeks ago and have CYA ready to add. Water temp is in the mid-60s. Ambient temps have fluctuated from the low 50s to the low 90s - typical Texas spring, but the trees have leafed out and most, if not all of the seed production is over, so I can remove the cover with little worry.

While I’d like to keep the summer heat at bay for as long as possible, I’m ready to swim!

I haven't been paying attention to the pool with such a mild winter. MD had no snow at all this year. Checked water temp yesterday and I am already at 57! That is a good 2-3 weeks early. I'll pull the top this weekend and start cleaning up the water. I think I have 3 or so gallons of bleach from last year which will all go in.

The trees seem to know as the plums are all blooming early as well and usually I have plum flower pedals clogging up the skimmer baskets shortly after opening. I just hope they hold off falling until I get the top off and folded so I don't end up putting it away full of plum flowers.

Anyone else opening early due to warmer than usual weather?
We opened ours over the weekend. We are in Missouri. Our water has been 59-60°

PXL_20230414_183311381.jpg

My turn! Still had some chlorine left over from closing. 3 gallons of 6% bleach to bring it up to SLAM. I'm hoping tonight is a one and done for me and I can turn the SWG on tomorrow.

I opened my pool last weekend. It had a layer of green. I SLAM'ed it with the chlorine from the house fire almost 3 years ago. :mrgreen: :crazy:Took a day to clear up. Granddaughter took the first swim again this year in 60° water on Friday and had to go in yesterday. She tried to convince me to swim both times. I have declined. Told her I'm not turning the heater on just yet.

20230408_132156.jpg20230408_162746.jpg20230409_111301.jpg20230409_123024.jpg20230410_185546.jpg20230410_185703.jpg20230410_185613.jpg20230415_155441.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I opened my pool last weekend. It had a layer of green. I SLAM'ed it with the chlorine from the house fire almost 3 years ago. :mrgreen: :crazy:Took a day to clear up. Granddaughter took the first swim again this year in 60° water on Friday and had to go in yesterday. She tried to convince me to swim both times. I have declined. Told her I'm not turning the heater on just yet.

View attachment 483115View attachment 483116View attachment 483117View attachment 483118View attachment 483119View attachment 483120View attachment 483121View attachment 483122
I like that brush!

Reactions: Casey and PoolGate
It had a layer of green.
It was unusually warm for many of us this year.

When draining a few weeks ago, I used electrical conduit / pvc to get a bottom sample to see exactly how much rain getting through the dense mesh cover would stratify the pool.

0 ft had 0 FC and 0 salt
2 ft had 2FC and 1200 salt
7.5 ft had 6FC and 3000 salt.

I drained a foot at the top, then dropped the pump to the bottom of the deep end in a 5 gallon bucket to circulate the water. I tossed the hose on top of the cover and ran the pump for an hour. I gave the hose 20 mins each at the shallow end, the middle, and the deep end.

It will now be part of my chore list anytime I drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.