Wow time to open!

I have the opposite problem. So much rain this winter (especially the last couple of weeks) that my pool is almost overflowing.

Without taking the cover off, just sticking my hand underneath, I reckon I have maybe 2 inches left...

Just picked up 8 gallons of 20 baume Muriatic for $11/gallon from True Value. Local pool store sells it for $16 so a little savings there! True Value is way closer to my house though. That means I won't step foot in the local pool store at all this season. :cry:

Thankful I use very little muriatic acid- maybe 1/2 bottle a year if that.
Add a little salt & I’m off to the races hopefully. I haven’t priced bulk LC @ my local place yet but I will probably only refill 2 of my 4 jugs for now.

I just opened the pool! Had one small leak in a union (bypass piece I made last year when I repaired the heater) but a quick snug and that was good to go. The pump was squealing right after I first started it so I stopped and restarted and the squeal is gone. I sure hope I am not looking at a pump replacement this year! I haven't tested the heater yet but will later in the week. Control panel came up and looks good. I dumped a gallon of muriatic and a gallon of bleach leftover from last year to start it off. Pool temp is showing as 56. Need to add salt as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Opened last week and today I cut my lawn in the backyard to get it all even length as certain areas were in full blown summer mode and others still yellowish. For the pool bringing CYA up hopefully to 60 then 70. added my Calcium Hardness stuff, salt and baking soda so hopefully the water will be dialed in the next few days then keep the cover on to keep the pollen away. Water temp 57 degrees.

For future reference if you didn't, or for anyone following, always Overnight Chlorine Loss Test before raising CYA in the spring. SLAM FC is 40% of the CYA and you'd much rather SLAM at 12 FC than 28. (y)
good to know. I was steady at 9FC for several days then dropped to 5.5 after leaving my cover open for a few days in the bright sun. Water has been crystal clear after the robot did its thing. Hope when I test shortly its still at 5.5. I just turned the SWG on.

Reactions: Newdude
Added 4 bags of salt yesterday (poolmath said 5). A little tough to really brush much with the cover on so the plan was to run the robot today to help ensure things were mixed well then retest salt before turning on the swg. Welp, I plugged the swg in instead of the robot 🤣 but it’s making “fog” & the light is green 👍🏻 so it’s a win right? Running the robot now. Gonna test & see how much gain I am getting from the swg with the cover on & where I landed with the salt.
I have never really figured out the actual consumption of my pool at various times of the year since I have always had a swg(or 2) & they have always been odd ones to calculate. I just knew it was keeping up or it wasn’t & never dared to leave it off. I plan to try & figure that out this season.

Well, I'm glad I pumped about 4 inches out of the pool yesterday, because we just got about 3 more this morning *sigh*
My neighbour is working on a temporary pool too. That's actually where the 'creek' empties into the main tributary...just overwhelmed with the rain the last couple days.
Bush, tree, bush, drain - drain is about 18 inches deep...you can just about see the shadow of the top of it....

20230405_134034.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Newdude
Well, I'm glad I pumped about 4 inches out of the pool yesterday, because we just got about 3 more this morning *sigh*
My neighbour is working on a temporary pool too. That's actually where the 'creek' empties into the main tributary...just overwhelmed with the rain the last couple days.
Bush, tree, bush, drain - drain is about 18 inches deep...you can just about see the shadow of the top of it....

Oh that sucks! Hopefully that isn't what your season will be like. In order to have a flood like that here it literally would have to be biblical. We are 40ft above the next street down from us on a high point.

I ran the robot twice today and now giving it a rest. There is SO MUCH dirt in the pool that the basket was so heavy it was unable to get to the shallow end it kept sliding back to the deep end. I will put it in again tomorrow and hopefully can get it to complete a cycle. Water temp is 62 and I have cranked the SWG to 25%. 86 degrees here today in sunny Maryland! Got the house A/C on too.

Reactions: SJPoe
KFLG is 7014’ it rises up quickly through the Coconino National Forest
We opened the pool on Saturday. The water temp was 46. We're going to have a sunny warm week in NY in the 70s and 80s and we wanted to hang by the pool if just to have the glittering water for ambience. I bet the dog will decide it's not too cold to swim. The pool opened up clear and mostly clean. Needed a quick vacuum and a brushing, but the tabs in two floaters attached to a line across the pool held some chlorine over the winter. PH drifted up and a 1/2 gallon us muriatic acid brought things into line. The season has begun!

1681131554521.jpeg

Last edited:
I peaked under the cover yesterday and water is almost to normal levels and i can still see the bottom.
I'm also unable to resist peeking under the covers - looks sparkly...
We opened the pool on Saturday.

So jelly...but I'd want to heat it immediately, and my wallet is currently overriding my impatience ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.