Would like recommendation for good defoamer.

Wilderpa95

Silver Supporter
Apr 15, 2020
Florida
We are using bromine tabs in our hot tub and shocking with liquid chlorine bleach weekly. Initially we made the mistake of using the splash-free laundry bleach which caused tremendous foaming, to the point where it was flowing over the sides of the spa. We have since switched to concentrated (10%) liquid chlorine from a pool supply store. Unfortunately, we still get foaming immediately after adding the chlorine. I have gone online to Amazon to find a good defoamer, but there are lots of varieties. Reading the reviews seems to indicate not all products are worth the money and Some actually contain ingredients that may be cancer-causing. Would appreciate a recommendation for a good defoamer that I can add weekly when we shock the tub.

You can raise ch in increments of 50ppm up to 150ppm to help with foaming if needed.
I have little to no ch (25-50ppm)& do not experience any foaming issues.
Are you using any other products in the tub?
Are you rinsing your suits (or other garments that are worn in the tub) well after washing with detergent?
Are you using fabric softener when washing suits or other garments that get in the tub?
Getting your hair (that may contain products) into the tub?
How old is the water?
Have you ever purged the tub?

We use biodex foam stop in plaster spas when draining is not immediately possible. Very, very little is needed to kill the foam.

The effect is temporary. And, overuse of defoamers will cause the precise problem they are intended to solve.

Is there a reason you haven't just changed the water? Replacing a few hundred gallons in a spa is usually easily justified, as it generally costs less than the added products meant mitigate the underlying issue.

I tried defoamer once, I hated the way it made the water feel and look. Kind of slimy is the best way I can describe it. Plus you are supposed to add defoamer to the foam, not to the water as a treatment before hand.

As @Mdragger88 said, raising CH is helpful. I keep mine in the 300 ppm range just to stop foaming when I use AquaClarity.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I tried defoamer once, I hated the way it made the water feel and look. Kind of slimy is the best way I can describe it. Plus you are supposed to add defoamer to the foam, not to the water as a treatment before hand.

As @Mdragger88 said, raising CH is helpful. I keep mine in the 300 ppm range just to stop foaming when I use AquaClarity.
I too use the aqua clarity & have found that I just need less than is initially recommended (my tub is very small so a little dab will do!)- I have not needed to add any calcium to reduce foaming since reducing the dose.
more AQ = more foam.
Perhaps we’re not quite “dirty” enough to need the full dose 🤷‍♀️
If the op is using some other enzyme product reducing the amount might assist with foam reduction.
That said, the polymers in splashless bleach can take a while to break down especially if it was used multiple times so a water exchange can certainly be easier & cheaper than fighting it if thats the cause.

Reactions: phonedave
I too use the aqua clarity & have found that I just need less than is initially recommended (my tub is very small so a little dab will do!)- I have not needed to add any calcium to reduce foaming since reducing the dose.
more AQ = more foam.
Perhaps we’re not quite “dirty” enough to need the full dose 🤷‍♀️
If the op is using some other enzyme product reducing the amount might assist with foam reduction.
That said, the polymers in splashless bleach can take a while to break down especially if it was used multiple times so a water exchange can certainly be easier & cheaper than fighting it if thats the cause.

I also do the same thing. I use a scant 1oz of AC in my tub, my tub is 360 gallons so the recommended dose is just over an ounce and a half. A shy ounce is enough to get the job done, reduces the amount of foam, and save me money on AC :)

Maybe we are not so dirty as well.

All kidding aside, it is only my wife and myself. 3-4 times a week for about 30-40 minutes each time. We have dedicated bathing suits for the hot tub, don't wash our hair out in the water, etc. So I guess it is a relatively pretty clean tub.

We have dedicated bathing suits for the hot tub, don't wash our hair out in the water, etc. So I guess it is a relatively pretty clean tub.
We have a few clients that forego the suit. This would arguably work great if they would remember our scheduled stops. Our techs get an eyeful at least once a month.

We have a few clients that forego the suit. This would arguably work great if they would remember our scheduled stops. Our techs get an eyeful at least once a month.
That’s hilarious!
I often embarrass my kids when I remove my wet suit & go with only the robe when I get out of the tub & then hang out on the patio a while 😂(I do this under a towel btw as I do have a couple neighbors)
I just tell them its my back yard - if someone doesn’t like it they can leave or they shouldn’t look 🤣🤣🤣 same thing when I get hot outside doing yard work & go down to the skivies to cool off in the pool real quick.
You should see their little tween faces! Sheer horror, as if one of their friends might see me or something.
I have been snuck up on by the meter reader a few times- its right by my hot tub. Luckily I was never in the thick of it. Unfortunately his job became obsolete so I don’t see him anymore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can raise ch in increments of 50ppm up to 150ppm to help with foaming if needed.
I have little to no ch (25-50ppm)& do not experience any foaming issues.
Are you using any other products in the tub?
Are you rinsing your suits (or other garments that are worn in the tub) well after washing with detergent?
Are you using fabric softener when washing suits or other garments that get in the tub?
Getting your hair (that may contain products) into the tub?
How old is the water?
Have you ever purged the tub?
No other products.
No clothing in spa
No hair in spa
Change water every 3 to 4 months.
We only have the foaming immediately after adding the liquid chlorine. Prior to adding, no foam.

We use biodex foam stop in plaster spas when draining is not immediately possible. Very, very little is needed to kill the foam.

The effect is temporary. And, overuse of defoamers will cause the precise problem they are intended to solve.

Is there a reason you haven't just changed the water? Replacing a few hundred gallons in a spa is usually easily justified, as it generally costs less than the added products meant mitigate the underlying issue.
We change the water every 3-4 months. we do not have a foaming problem day to day. Only immed after we add the liquid chlorine shock.

To confirm, this is unadulterated liquid chlorine?
No polymers(splashless) , fabric protectors, cloromax technology or scents
This too is the question lingering for me.

OP, you said you buy pool grade sodium hypochlorite, is this correct?

I've been servicing pools and hot tubs a very long time and the behavior you describe is atypical in the sense that liquid chlorine itself does not cause suds.

Here's another perspective; surfactants are triggered by turbulence. I'm assuming you run the jets after pouring in the chlorine? Are we sure we aren't blaming correlation vs causation?

If you haven’t changed the water since the splashless incident this may plague you until you do.
If you have changed the water since then:
Since this is a bromine tub - what exactly is the product you’re using for your bromine? Maybe it has changed & has some kind of additive?
If you can confirm the liquid chlorine nor the bromine product used is not the problem then you may just try increasing ch a scootch? For Most people ch of 150 is enough to moderate any foaming but every tub is different like @phonedave
Post pics of all the labels of the products you’re currently using.

@DavidLast, great tip, but OP indicated they are not using products like an algacide, plus these are generally never justified/used in acrylic spas. Algae is rare in a tub.

@Wilderpa95 is there a reason you're using bromine vs just relying on the manual chlorine dosing you're already doing?

Chlorine is less troublesome in my experience. Lots of rabbit trails to take you down, but we'll keep it simple, and leave it there.

Chlorine is less troublesome in my experience. Lots of rabbit trails to take you down, but we'll keep it simple, and leave it there.
I second this. I have a spa at the moment on Bromine, in a commercial setting, and the situations prevent swap to chorine. On the same site I have 4 others all on chlorine only. The Bromine ones are the only ones to give any issues, and that is a real rabbit hole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.