Would Like Feedback on Estimate

suman

Aug 22, 2020
Michigan
Hello Everyone,

I live in Michigan. I have a pool builder who just submitted his estimate to build a 30x15 gunite pool and 8x8 spa. His quote:

- 30x15 gunite pool: $78,895
  • Equipment
  • 333k btu H/E heater
  • Variable Speed H/E pump
  • Pentair Automation
  • IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator
  • Triton sand filter
  • 3 12v led color changing lights

- 8x8 spa: $18,980
  • Tile, coping, plaster 2main drains, 8 returns. 2’ spillway into pool

Tile and coping - basic tile to choose from and includes basic brick choices. Travertine, limestone, and granite are all upgrades.

Questions:
  1. Thoughts on the quote? Is close to $80k fair price for a 30x15 gunite pool? Seems a bit much to me. I was expecting it to be around $65k. What about the spa price?
  2. Thoughts on equipment in the pool quote (do I need more than a 40 gallon chlorine generator? What is a sand filter? Are there things he's not including that I should think about?)
Thanks.

I would suggest that you get several bids, pricing seems to be all over the place with pool builders. Your bid seems really high to me, but could be a good deal for your area. We are paying far less for our pool and spa than you are being quoted for only the pool, and I didn't have any bids that separated the two, they were all quoted as a package. The general thought on the SWCG is to get one that is rated for double the size of your pool, so the 40 is probably good.

Agree with spd500...get multiple quotes. We talked with 7-8 builders are getting 17x34 with spa, sunshelf, travertine coping, PebbleSheen plaster, 400K heater, all Pentair with Automation, for way less than your quote....closer in line with what you expected the quote to come in at. There could be a price difference regionally between Michigan and Houston, but I wouldn't imagine it would be that wide of a swing.

Remember that spa will only be used part of the year. It's not like a standalone spa you can get into during snow season. Are you dead set on a gunite pool? On average I do a 30x15 vinyl pool done nicely with water features and lighting for around 50k soup to nuts

Remember that spa will only be used part of the year. It's not like a standalone spa you can get into during snow season. Are you dead set on a gunite pool? On average I do a 30x15 vinyl pool done nicely with water features and lighting for around 50k soup to nuts

Thanks Jimmy. But yes, I need a gunite pool because of the shape I want to create. Are you in Michigan? Anyone you or anyone else can recommend who does good gunite work?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.