Would any of these Current Sensor & Relay Combos work?

RalekBasa

Jul 23, 2020
Texas
I was looking at these components. These look simpler and cheaper than the $120 solutions that've been posted so far: Current Sensor & Relay Combos - Functional Devices, Inc.

I'm using a circupool SJ-40 SWG and circupool 1.5 HP Smartflo (variable speed pump). According to circupool the SWG can pull up to 8A and is running on 240 VAC. My pump shouldn't pull more than 7A ( the smartflo variable speed pump control unit is rated up to 10A) and running off of a 240 VAC line.

Do any of the units on that page look like they'd work? Thank you in advance!

The SWG draws about 1.5 amps at 240V. The power supply then supplies the cell with around 8A at 24-40V.

What are you trying to do? Sense the pump current and switch the SWG on and off?

I was looking at these components. These look simpler and cheaper than the $120 solutions that've been posted so far: Current Sensor & Relay Combos - Functional Devices, Inc.
I'm not sure if you are referring to the solution that I am using, which is actually around $90. Your devices may be cheaper, but I don't think they are simpler. To sense pump motor current you are going to need one of them that includes an external current sensor. The current sensor can be either a solid core or split core. You are also going to want to be able to adjust the current sense trip. So the choice seems to be RIBXLCJF (split core) or RBXLCRA (solid core). Since these are solid state device they both require a 24Vac power source as shown in the second schematic on this link. This is what in my opinion makes it more complex than what I am using. When I installed mine last year I did take a look at these, but I wanted to stay away from solid state switching devices along with avoiding additional power sources.
I'm using a CR4395-EH-120-110-X-CD-ELR-I device. It senses current on one of the pump's 220v lines and switches 120V to my SWCG. Current trip point is adjustable. If you don't have 120 available there is a version that can switch 220V (see the second page of the above link). I think it a simpler installation with just needing to mount it in a box (weatherproof if install is outdoors), making some twist nut connections along with crimping four disconnect terminals. No addition power sources required.
View attachment 134391

Reactions: AJ.A
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.