Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hi,

Complete rework of our pool equipment two weeks ago. Upgraded to VSP, cartridge filter, SWG, suction-side vacuum, new heater because very old equipment froze, had leaks, performing poorly. We were SLAMming all the time, brushing, but still couldn’t keep algae away.

I dutifully shocked our 6 weeks no pump pool, added all the CYA they recommended. I had previously misjudged the size of our pool, but with the corrected size, my testing put me in a panic. FC was about 23, CYA was above 100. My installer tested same time and twice with a bigger Taylor kit and got 80 CYA and 10 FC. They calmed me down, it will drift down. Ok, 2 weeks later, yes the FC is 10, CYA is still about 100 maybe 110. A week ago, the pool got warm enough for SWG to come on, so I added bags of salt using charts and being conservative, yet my Taylor K-1766 that I bought a few days ago says 8000 ppm. Did I have salts dissolved in there before I added the salt? Is that where I went wrong? Or is the high FC interfering with more than the PH? Plus, at one point a few days ago, my SWG said to add 15Lbs of salt? The message is gone now.

I also added Boric Acid based on TFP recommendations for my size pool, but don’t have a test for that. Maybe I will order the strips.

Took sample to Leslie’s and am further confused, though I don’t put too much stock in their test numbers. (See the 3/23 1:59p results below with a note below about Leslie’s)

The pool water looks absolutely beautiful. Some brushing when I first added chlorine to get some algae off the sides. I read the salt post and it didn’t seem to ring any alarms about the apparent high NaCl level. Just wondering if this is a problem that needs to be solved urgently with a drain/refill. We got rain recently, but now be forecast for next 10 days.

==================================
Home
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 30000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 11.0 (6 hours ago)
CC: 0.0 (6 hours ago)
pH: 7.7 (6 hours ago)
TA: 110 (6 hours ago)
CH: 310 (6 hours ago)
CYA: 110 (6 hours ago)
SALT: 8000 (6 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 60° (6 hours ago)
CSI: -0.39 (6 hours ago)
==========================================
Test Results 03-26-2022 @ 10:43 AM
Free Chlorine: 11.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.7
Total Alkalinity: 110
Calcium Hardness: 310
CYA: 110
Salt: 8000
Temperature: 60°F
CSI: -0.39

Test Results 03-23-2022 @ 01:59 PM
Free Chlorine: 13.4
Combined Chlorine: 1.0
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 69
Calcium Hardness: 263
CYA: 106
Salt: 3647
CSI: -0.92

Notes 03-23-2022 @ 01:59 PM
Tested at Leslie’s for FC @ 13.38

Test Results 03-23-2022 @ 11:23 AM
Free Chlorine: 11.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.5
CYA: 100
Salt: 7600
Temperature: 59°F
CSI: -0.94

Test Results 03-21-2022 @ 11:05 AM
Free Chlorine: 15.5
pH: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 100
Calcium Hardness: 290
CYA: 90
Salt: 1400
Temperature: 61°F
CSI: -0.07

What SWG do you have? Put it in your signature.

You will need to drain over 50% of your pool to lower your salt and CYA.

Get your own test kit. TF100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C.

Hi,

Complete rework of our pool equipment two weeks ago. Upgraded to VSP, cartridge filter, SWG, suction-side vacuum, new heater because very old equipment froze, had leaks, performing poorly. We were SLAMming all the time, brushing, but still couldn’t keep algae away.

I dutifully shocked our 6 weeks no pump pool, added all the CYA they recommended. I had previously misjudged the size of our pool, but with the corrected size, my testing put me in a panic. FC was about 23, CYA was above 100. My installer tested same time and twice with a bigger Taylor kit and got 80 CYA and 10 FC. They calmed me down, it will drift down. Ok, 2 weeks later, yes the FC is 10, CYA is still about 100 maybe 110. A week ago, the pool got warm enough for SWG to come on, so I added bags of salt using charts and being conservative, yet my Taylor K-1766 that I bought a few days ago says 8000 ppm. Did I have salts dissolved in there before I added the salt? Is that where I went wrong? Or is the high FC interfering with more than the PH? Plus, at one point a few days ago, my SWG said to add 15Lbs of salt? The message is gone now.

I also added Boric Acid based on TFP recommendations for my size pool, but don’t have a test for that. Maybe I will order the strips.

Took sample to Leslie’s and am further confused, though I don’t put too much stock in their test numbers. (See the 3/23 1:59p results below with a note below about Leslie’s)

The pool water looks absolutely beautiful. Some brushing when I first added chlorine to get some algae off the sides. I read the salt post and it didn’t seem to ring any alarms about the apparent high NaCl level. Just wondering if this is a problem that needs to be solved urgently with a drain/refill. We got rain recently, but now be forecast for next 10 days.

==================================
Home
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 30000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 11.0 (6 hours ago)
CC: 0.0 (6 hours ago)
pH: 7.7 (6 hours ago)
TA: 110 (6 hours ago)
CH: 310 (6 hours ago)
CYA: 110 (6 hours ago)
SALT: 8000 (6 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 60° (6 hours ago)
CSI: -0.39 (6 hours ago)
==========================================
Test Results 03-26-2022 @ 10:43 AM
Free Chlorine: 11.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.7
Total Alkalinity: 110
Calcium Hardness: 310
CYA: 110
Salt: 8000
Temperature: 60°F
CSI: -0.39

Test Results 03-23-2022 @ 01:59 PM
Free Chlorine: 13.4
Combined Chlorine: 1.0
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 69
Calcium Hardness: 263
CYA: 106
Salt: 3647
CSI: -0.92

Notes 03-23-2022 @ 01:59 PM
Tested at Leslie’s for FC @ 13.38

Test Results 03-23-2022 @ 11:23 AM
Free Chlorine: 11.5
pH: 7.5
CYA: 100
Salt: 7600
Temperature: 59°F
CSI: -0.94

Test Results 03-21-2022 @ 11:05 AM
Free Chlorine: 15.5
pH: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 100
Calcium Hardness: 290
CYA: 90
Salt: 1400
Temperature: 61°F
CSI: -0.07
CYA and salt do not go away by themselves. As mentioned you will need to drain and refill some water with fresh water to get those down.

You have a lot of stuff going on in your description so it’s hard to say exactly where you went wrong but generally you want to test the water with your own test kit (stay away from leslies) and then add what what the water needs. Your water has twice the amount of CYA and salt as it needs and that will make it hard to manage until those are corrected.

Well, I have to disagree with your Leslies' comments. The Leslies' in Naperville is the Bomb. When we first installed our pool I walked in the with a shopping list and not a clue what I was doing. Less than an hour Allen and Ryan (on another day) had me clued in on what was what, that with the pool app. My test numbers using a LaMotte 2056 Digital test kit, are inline with them. The best parts are that my numbers and theirs all end up on Their App with instructions of what and when to add whether I use their stuff or some others. They also had me a printout.

The other pool stores I have visited test the water, hand me a post-it note with a few numbers on it. Then they add a verbal recommendation.

Getting off my Soap Box.
Sorry M

Well, I have to disagree with your Leslies' comments. The Leslies' in Naperville is the Bomb. When we first installed our pool I walked in the with a shopping list and not a clue what I was doing. Less than an hour Allen and Ryan (on another day) had me clued in on what was what, that with the pool app. My test numbers using a LaMotte 2056 Digital test kit, are inline with them. The best parts are that my numbers and theirs all end up on Their App with instructions of what and when to add whether I use their stuff or some others. They also had me a printout.

The other pool stores I have visited test the water, hand me a post-it note with a few numbers on it. Then they add a verbal recommendation.

Getting off my Soap Box.
Sorry M
I guess it’s good if you’re happy with them. There are countless reports on the site about how inconsistent the results are and many times even totally devoid from reality.

My test kit provides reliable results in a few minutes and I don’t have to drive anywhere.

The Lamotte is on ok kit but nothing like a K2006C or DPD kit that really are the gold standard... The pool store is there to sell you products that you do not need nor want in your pool.. Really the only thing you will need is muriatic acid and you can get that from many places way cheaper than the pool store..

You want your CYA at 80 and your salt should be about 3200 depending on your SWG.. Your pool probably already had at least 3000 to 4000 ppm salt in it and then you added more salt..

To get your salt down to 3200 ppm you will need to drain over half your pool, use PoolMath to know exactly what you need... Your CYA is fine right now as it will go down when you drain for the salt.. when you fill again this is what you want for numbers, select SWG pool Recommended Levels :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.