worried about brief polar vortex freeze this week

Liz70

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi everyone!

We are planning to open our 21' above ground pool today. The weather here in Ottawa has been nice (about 60-70F) the past 9 days and we are starting to grow algae and the pool is getting green so I feel it should be done sooner than later.

The problem is, we are supposed to get 4 nights in a row beginning Thursday where the temps drop to -1c and -2c (about 28F) with day temps only about 40F.

Should we wait or if I run the pump 24/7 will it be ok? The current pool water temp is 12c (54F). I really want to get some chemicals in there and filtered. Thanks for any help you can give.

Keep the pump running and you'll be fine. You'll be experiencing the equivalent of Southern Winter, the water won't freeze as a whole and running the pump prevents any small pockets of water in the plumbing or filter system from getting cold enough to solidify.

Hi everyone!

We are planning to open our 21' above ground pool today. The weather here in Ottawa has been nice (about 60-70F) the past 9 days and we are starting to grow algae and the pool is getting green so I feel it should be done sooner than later.

The problem is, we are supposed to get 4 nights in a row beginning Thursday where the temps drop to -1c and -2c (about 28F) with day temps only about 40F.

Should we wait or if I run the pump 24/7 will it be ok? The current pool water temp is 12c (54F). I really want to get some chemicals in there and filtered. Thanks for any help you can give.
I wouldn't be in haste to open the pool. So what if it gets algae? You just shock it and it clears up in a couple of days. Lots of peole don't open their pools until June, at that is in Southern Ontario where it is a few degrees warmer on average.

You don't need to open the pool to treat the algae. Just throw in a gallon or so of bleach (chlorine) and mix it with your brush. Wait to turn on equipment until the freeze is over.

Read what conditions it takes to actually cause freezing. It takes more then a short dip in temperature.

Also you may find Preparing Pool for Cooler Months - Further Reading helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.