Working From Home #COVID

Hey man, on a different subject you ok after IDA? Some some crazy flooding videos from the NY NJ area.
Yeah we missed the bulk of it, thanks. 4 or 5 times it came down like gang busters for 15 mins but it was supposed to be sustained for 12+ hours so I’ll take the win there for sure. We had tornado watches and everything. Hopefully everyone nearby fared as well.

Reactions: markayash
Yeah, and now the natives can't afford to stay. In theory I've made well over $100K on my house here in a year. On paper. In theory. Actually paid for the pool. Be nice to go before that changes. Kinda makes sense to move out now at retirement. Best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray... I came here to stay and that doesn't seem to make much sense anymore. You might see me near Georgia in a few years....

Best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray..
I always liked ‘Man plans and God / the universe laughs’. But that doesn’t quite do it justice. They point and belly laugh while doing the helicopter on the floor. ‘Did you SEE what he planned ???Buwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha’.

It is tempting to move out of where I live. My house has appreciated close to $500k in the past 2 years due to an extreme lack of demand. If I was ready to leave the area, I would not hesitate. But my youngest just started high school so I am stuck for another 4 years. I do look forward to going back to work but we were extended at home again due to Delta.

Interesting because i think a lot of folks left Ca and NY and moved to low cost of living states like Ga. They sold utility shed for 1.2 million and come down here and see 3500 sq homes for $500k and paying cash.
And folks like me left ATL and moved out to fly over country...although I did it before COVID. :) I was quite lucky that the only time I had to deal w/ going downtown (from East Snobb) was during law school and I was usually able to schedule it so I missed the worst traffic times.

I am pretty much retired, but I do take the occasional project if they throw me enough money at me. But, I will ONLY work from home...no ifs, ands, or buts.

I know quite a few attorneys that were asked to go back into the office and they flat refused. Some moved on to other gigs and some had employers that caved into the demand.

And folks like me left ATL and moved out to fly over country...
Well, I actually miss fly over country. That's who I am and always will be, like it or not. (I said NEAR Georgia not in it, certainly not ATL) But yeah, Arizona is now becoming VERY expensive, VERY quickly. I'm ready to move back into the country with a low population and retire.. I should hold out few more years though, which it will probably be too late then. As for people not going back to the old gigs... That's the real revolution, eh? I'll stop now as it's turning political. But this reminds me a lot of a 1200 page book I read in high school. That is what is going to change everything eventually hopefully for the better. Peace.

Reactions: HeyEng
Well, I actually miss fly over country. That's who I am and always will be, like it or not. (I said NEAR Georgia not in it, certainly not ATL) But yeah, Arizona is now becoming VERY expensive, VERY quickly. I'm ready to move back into the country with a low population and retire.. I should hold out few more years though, which it will probably be too late then. As for people not going back to the old gigs... That's the real revolution, eh? I'll stop now as it's turning political. But this reminds me a lot of a 1200 page book I read in high school. That is what is going to change everything eventually hopefully for the better. Peace.
Funny LinkedIn did a series on remote work and now I see they are allowing all their folks to work remote indefinitely.
To me it’s not political of selfish it makes work/home balance work so much better at least for me in IT. If I am caught up during the day I can mess with the pool but if I need to make a change at 8 pm no worries Pc is sitting ready to go.

I was already WFH before this whole thing happened so maybe I was a little better prepared. But I also got on a plane just about every week to go visit customers. I dont miss that for a second. I had to travel last week for some personal reasons and one phone call to Delta to try to change a flight reminded me how much travel sucks. I am also probably twice as productive since I dont have all that dead time in planes and airports.

Other positive side effects, I lost about 15lbs just due to not eating in restaurants all the time, my blood pressure is down to where I am off that medication.

I was already WFH before this whole thing happened so maybe I was a little better prepared. But I also got on a plane just about every week to go visit customers. I dont miss that for a second. I had to travel last week for some personal reasons and one phone call to Delta to try to change a flight reminded me how much travel sucks. I am also probably twice as productive since I dont have all that dead time in planes and airports.

Other positive side effects, I lost about 15lbs just due to not eating in restaurants all the time, my blood pressure is down to where I am off that medication.
I agree, interesting thing is my sodium level dropped due to eating at home compared to restaurants who add 20 pds of salt to a 1/2 pd burger!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I can relate! I don't miss the work travel. However, I gained about 15 lbs cause I'm so bored in my off time!

Here are the reasons why I think people are going to have a hard time giving up remote work:

1. You save a ton of money on gas, insurance, and car repairs (wear and tear from driving to and from work)
  2. It’s convenient and comfortable
  3. You can make 15 minute doctor’s appointments on lunch break without having to take an entire day off or half a day off.
  4. Parents are saving a fortune by not having to spend on Day Care because they are home with their children.
  5. You can run quick errands on lunch break instead of making a mad dash to do anything at 5PM.
  6. Most of the remote workers have the mentality “We’ve worked for 2 years without issue, so why come back?”
  7. Some employees are not getting bothered by the “Chatty Kathys” at work right outside their cubicle/office.
  8. I can use a better PC setup at home than I can in the office.
Believe it or not, some people are purposely not getting a vaccine, specifically just so they can continue working from home and not go into the office. We are even seeing this same issue in the prison systems as well. Most inmates are refusing to get the vaccine because as long as they dont have it, they won’t share a cell with another inmate.

Last edited:
Here are the reasons why I think people are going to have a hard time giving up remote work:

1. You save a ton of money on gas, insurance, and car repairs (wear and tear from driving to and from work)
  2. It’s convenient and comfortable
  3. You can make 15 minute doctor’s appointments on lunch break without having to take an entire day off or half a day off.
  4. Parents are saving a fortune by not having to spend on Day Care because they are home with their children.
  5. You can run quick errands on lunch break instead of making a mad dash to do anything at 5PM.
  6. Most of the remote workers have the mentality “We’ve worked for 2 years without issue, so why come back?”
  7. Some employees are not getting bothered by the “Chatty Kathys” at work right outside their cubicle/office.
  8. I can use a better PC setup at home than I can in the office.
Believe it or not, some people are purposely not getting a vaccine, specifically just so they can continue working from home and not go into the office. We are even seeing this same issue in the prison systems as well. Most inmates are refusing to get the vaccine because as long as they dont have it, they won’t share a cell with another inmate.
I agree 100% but I also save 2 hours a day not sitting in traffic. Not to mention now everybody runs for the door at 4:30 or 5 vs working till 6.
Too bad “leaders” are more focused on controlling people vs what works.

Reactions: KJB1
Yep, we got a new boss who insists on micromanaging and work at home ended. Even our remote access to the work server was cut off. Now it’s back to sitting in the office for 8hrs even if you only have 6hrs of work. If it’s 8+ hours too bad. Work load is still fluctuating wildly. Definitely not back to normal yet. Working at home was great while it lasted

Yep, we got a new boss who insists on micromanaging and work at home ended. Even our remote access to the work server was cut off. Now it’s back to sitting in the office for 8hrs even if you only have 6hrs of work. If it’s 8+ hours too bad. Work load is still fluctuating wildly. Definitely not back to normal yet. Working at home was great while it lasted
Be interesting to see how it plays out. I am in IT and use to get 3 or 4 hits for remote roles. Now I get 35 to 40 a week:)

Reactions: KJB1
That first post didn't age well, lol! "If this lasts another week or so..." The co I work for did a survey and like 95% of people said they would prefer to wfh full time, so a couple months later they did another survey, same result, repeat a 3rd time... finally said, ok, fine, we get the message...sold our corporate building so now we are all full time remote...they would have had to drag me kicking and screaming back to the office! I've been using lunch time to do my water testing... although now that I've done it for about a month, I'm down to about 5 minutes. Once I've got my heater in, I'll have plenty of time for a lunch swim!

Reactions: KJB1 and Turbo1Ton
I am one of those people who can't work form home.. or maybe only very small amounts. The "management" sure seems to, and those of us coming in aren't getting glowing reviews from those who don't. And yeah, time wise and gas wise.. it might be worth the pay cut to get a "remote" job. Or... Retirement soon. That sounds better. EOM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.