Wooden deck just stained is now very slippery, ideas?

I have an above ground pool + wooden deck.. I just stained the whole deck with Behr Premium Semi-Transparent stain..

I didnt realize it would have caused this but now walking on the flat of the deck is very slippery.

I've seen the strips you can but that can be attached to the deck.. it seems these often peel up very easily later, even the good rated ones.
I also saw fiberglass ones that can be screwed but they looked costly? I found some others on amazon, 8 strips for around $41-$55 (the 41$ are about 13 inches wide, the $55 are about 32 inches).. i was mainly thinking on the top side of the deck and of course on the steps too.. with the screw on ones maybe every few boards placing them here and there, but in a 15x10 area this could be a bit costly.. 32's might be too wide for the steps but better up on the deck to save on cost.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance

I've had stain that had crushed walnut shells mixed into it for traction before, but it was for one of the "Deckover" style stains, not a semi transparent. Not sure if this is an option with the semi transparent but if it is another coat with the traction material might solve your problems.

I've had stain that had crushed walnut shells mixed into it for traction before, but it was for one of the "Deckover" style stains, not a semi transparent. Not sure if this is an option with the semi transparent but if it is another coat with the traction material might solve your problems.

I thought maybe throwing some sand in the mix and recoating.. unsure if you just sprinkle sand on the boards and then apply, but how would that not get swished away by the pad.. or maybe in the mix, but how does it not just settle to the bottom before hand.

Then those strips to screw down ($55 for 32" ones, 8 pack but could need quite a few)

I have a 10x10 by the pool that used plastic type decking. We also have a large wooden deck by the house that we stain. The plastic is very expensive but worth it. Got it so no slivers but not slip also...but very hot. So we put down an outside carpet. Looks nice, cool when wet, and of course, not slippery. Could be on sale this time of year.

I personally would not mess with sand. Not enough stain to hold it in place.

Eventually after a few months the sun should break down the outer layer of the stain a little to make less slick.
On my steps, a total of eight, I originally bought a blue anti slip paint made for just work floors, marine grade.
After 1 year of snow, rain and such it started to flake and peel.
I removed last fall and applied a roll of anti slip blue tape I found on the net, applied 2 strips to ea step and purchased a tube of sealer, which was extra to seal the edges.
Actually it is nothing more than rubber cement like used on a bike tire patch, so its expensive for what it is, around 15. bucks
Now even those are starting to lift in the hot sun.
Plan on removing those also, nothing has worked so far. long term
Thinking about some sort of perforated rubber to apply but thick enough to anchor with stainless screws as to not have screws protrude above walk surface. Have not found anything yet.

This has been an ongoing challenge for me as well (I think I posted a similar question a few years back). It only takes a bit of water on the deck to make it very slippery - even when just walking.

We did lay 2 small area rugs on the deck, which helped (with heat and slipperyness) in those spots.

Behr does make a textured deck over (search on Home Depots site for that and you will find it), but it is not transparent and reviews are pretty mixed. I may give it a shot next spring, but seems like there is no clear solution here.

An other vote for outdoor carpets. Not that fake, wall to wall "grass" that come in rolls, but nice area rugs. That's what I have on my deck.

Most of them are anchored by furniture, but the one by the ladder is not. To stop it from moving I take long zip ties, and push them through the weave of the carpet starting from beneath, up through the carpet, and then back down about an inch away. I do this positioned over a gap in the deck boards. Then I go under the deck, put the end of the zip tie together, put a shot piece of dowel through the loop and snug it up. It keeps the carper in place all season, and come closing time, I cut the zip ties, roll up the carper, and store them.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.