Wood chips in the pump????

sedalbj

Silver Supporter
Jul 3, 2016
Eastern PA
Yesterday I lowered our pool 2" below the skimmers because I had someone coming to close the pool. They showed up and said sorry, our pool was too big for them to close, call someone else. The next appointment I could find was mid October so I had to refill and restart.

I had initially lowered the water using the overflow until the skimmers looked like they might be pulling air, and then turned off the pump and used a sump pump to get the rest of the water out.

When I turned off the pump, junk was ejected out of the two main floor drains and was laying on the floor of the pool around the skimmer. Mystery.....?

Yesterday I refilled the water to higher than the 1/2 way mark up the tile, poured water into the pump, put the lid on and started the pump. The first time, the water in the pump disappeared and the pump turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I turned off the breaker and turned it back on, re-primed the pump and turned it on again. This time, success. But, as the water came through to the pump it brought a bunch of junk with it, lots of wood chips and what looks like seeds. I cleaned it out of the pump basket. Our pool isn't new, this is season 3 for us so it can't be construction debris. Mystery.....?

I checked later and it turns out the pool 'closing' people closed my main drains and skimmer valves when they decided they "couldn't" close the pool and didn't reopen them. I called them to ask what else they did and they insisted they did nothing at all. I know that's a lie, my Polaris was in my shed and I didn't put it there.

So, any ideas what this junk was, and where it came from? My only theory is it was in one of the spa jets, which pulled with a lot of extra power when I started the pump with the main drains and skimmers off, there was a mouse nest from last season.

And, thanks for listening to my rant about the very irresponsible pool closing people. I tried to give a local pool business some business and it backfired in a big way. Mid October, leaves will start falling in a few days here....

Pool too big? What does that mean?

My guess is they started to blow out your lines and had problems. Their blower may have not been powerful enough for your plumbing. In the process of them messing with their blower they blew the wood chips and other stuff into your lines.

They sound like total incompetents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonarob
They probably had a makeshift home made blower without a screen on the blower intake. The wood chips and what not went right in and they knew it. They couldn't handle the problem so it was easier to walk away and say pool too big. No such thing as pool too big. 10, 15 or 45 gallon pool makes no difference when closing other then the winter cover or tarp.

I'm not sure it was them, the chips were super small and I don't know where they could have come from on our property. That's why I was thinking mouse. And the stuff that came out of my floor vents before they showed up was the same thing, when I dumped the Polaris they were in there. Not that I don't want to blame them, I'm so ticked off about the whole thing.

Maybe it came from the blower, it sat somewhere and got junk in it they used it first here and it put junk in lines instead of blowing the water, they figured the blower wasn't big enough.......

A security system is very cheap now days

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.