Won't backwash

Dubs29

Jun 12, 2021
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Hayward sand filter. This year I have changed my sand and bought a new valve assembly, but I cannot get my backwash to work. The filter is running okay but if I change to backwash or rinse nothing happens.

The filter is running okay but if I change to backwash or rinse nothing happens.
Welcome to TFP! :wave: That almost sounds as though the valve was either plumbed incorrectly (in & out lines backwards) or the valve itself backwards on the body of the filter. Might seem unlikely, but it happens.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: That almost sounds as though the valve was either plumbed incorrectly (in & out lines backwards) or the valve itself backwards on the body of the filter. Might seem unlikely, but it happens.
I believe it is all plumbed correctly, we have had the pool 9 years now.
Could it be the impeller in the pump?

Last edited:
I dont see how it would be the impeller causing the bsckwash and rinse to not work. It sounds like the valve is either plumbed backwards during install, or possibly the labeling on the valve is not correct to where you move the valve to. If the plumbing is good then i would suggest trying the valve in all the positions just to see what happens. It is also possible with this being a replacement that it is defective from manufacturing. It does happen and sometimes they sneak past was QC. Another thought is that maybe the handle itself was not pyt in correctly so it shows the wrong position instead of where it truely is located.

Post a few pics of your pool equipment - including of the backwash valve. We also need to see the line from the pump to the backwash valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.