Wobbly Diving Board

sagosto

May 28, 2019
Mahwah, NJ
My diving board is a bit wobbly in the rear if someone stands on it and shifts their weight from side to side. Is that normal to have a bit of play in it? Or should that be fixed?

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Please fix that!
You do *not* want an accident to happen due to a diving board moving unexpectedly..... the implications are scary to imagine. Both for the injured party and your insurance and having a known defect in such a risky-in-the-first-place item.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Arizonarob

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
There is to be zero movement in the base of a diving board. It’s only a matter of time before a bolt sheers off. Do not allow anyone to use it until it is repaired.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
You're going to have to remove the board to check the base.

Block access to the board until it is fixed.

sagosto

May 28, 2019
Mahwah, NJ
I found one without the board. I took the board off and both bolts in the base have a ton of washers, a lock nut, and a nut. The nut is completely tight and there's a bit of play in one of the bolts as it appears another washer is needed. It was surprising to not be able to tighten down the nut more to remove the play.

Attachments

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
I would remove the washers and nuts and check the bolts. Can you show a picture of the bolts when you get the washers off?

I suspect that the bolts might be replacements.

Do the bolts feel loose?