With the cost of SWG cells having doubled, is SWG still the way to go?

Sep 6, 2008
Mississippi
I finally got a good run out of a cell (almost 5 years) after multiple 1-2 year failures (they were undersized, among other things). Went to price a new one (Autopilot PPC4) and they've gone from $450 to $800. At $800, that's $160/yr if (big IF) I get 5 years again.

Bite the bullet and replace it? Switch to a "dumb" (just a tube with pucks in it, no regulation other than pump run time) chlorinator (what several neighbors have done)? Something else entirely?

Thanks,
Richard

Hands down, replacement cells ROI huge. Installing from scratch, with the controller and install pays back 2X for most. Replacement cells without that are 4X to 6X, model and pool volume depending.

Bleach went up considerably also in the meantime. It was $2 to $3 a gallon 5 years ago and is $6+ now.

Richard,

Compare that with Liquid Chlorine or tabs for five years...

Having a SWCG is still the way to go, even if it costs more, just for the convenience if nothing else.

I'd rather fill my pool in with dirt as not have a saltwater pool... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Your replacement cell will make 9.3 ppm in 24 hours, or 3875 lifetime FC.

Each gallon of Walmart chlorine (10%) is 3.9 FC, so the cell is equivalent of 994 gallons of WM LC. At $5.67 plus tax, that's $6083.28 VS $880 after tax for both. The tax difference alone is $370.87, almost half the cost of the cell.

The replacement cell is a 6.9X ROI. But that's in a perfect lab like scenario. Shave as much off as you wish. Go stupid crazy conservative with *half* if you want. it's still a 3.45X value and likely way more.

Now that we ran your specific #s, it's beyond a no brainer to replace the cell.

Reactions: .ben
In my area, if you’re getting any salt system installed it’s 3-4k. Cells up here last 5-7 yrs. Controllers might last 12. Do the math, 6 months up here, you can keep a pool clear using pucks and algaecide. Hands down swcg are more convenient but they are no longer economical.

Your replacement cell will make 9.3 ppm in 24 hours, or 3875 lifetime FC.

Each gallon of Walmart chlorine (10%) is 3.9 FC, so the cell is equivalent of 994 gallons of WM LC. At $5.67 plus tax, that's $6083.28 VS $880 after tax for both. The tax difference alone is $370.87, almost half the cost of the cell.

The replacement cell is a 6.9X ROI. But that's in a perfect lab like scenario. Shave as much off as you wish. Go stupid crazy conservative with *half* if you want. it's still a 3.45X value and likely way more.

Now that we ran your specific #s, it's beyond a no brainer to replace the cell.
That sure puts it in perspective! Thanks. I guess I'll order a new cell.

Reactions: Newdude
In my area, if you’re getting any salt system installed it’s 3-4k.
Even so, how is that possibly better than the $6k+ in comparable bleach ? You're quoting a brand new system, where it still makes sense, even eating the controller cost and install price. OP just needs an $800 cell for a 10 min DIY swap.

It's beyond economical either way. But that doesn't make the purchase funds available, which is its own discussion.

I was referencing pucks
50 lbs of trichlor is $206 today and gets OP 213 FC. 4 of those buckets are the cost of the SWG which gets 3875 FC to the 852 FC from 200 lbs of trichlor.

And individual pucks are $8 each at Walmart. :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Millions of pools use pucks with zero issues.
I didn't say there were issues. I said it's not cost effective to your original point to do the math and pucks were better.
👇👇👇👇
Do the math, 6 months up here, you can keep a pool clear using pucks and algaecide. Hands down swcg are more convenient but they are no longer economical.

It's way more expensive using bleach and/or pucks. Many can't handle the CYA addition of the pucks, but we don't even have to go there in this discussion because the math alone is a fail.

I live in a climate very similat to Pool_Medic. I used to go through slightly more than 50 lbs of 3" tabs in a season. Plus liquid CL for the times it all got away from me due to not noticing the off line chlorinator had gone dry. Plus the constant need for chlorinator check valves as even the best tabs tended to plug them. True, snowmelt resolved the CYA build up issue.
But, overall care and feeding of the pool have gone down dramatically with my SWCG. So while costs might be overall around the same, I'll never go back....it just makes owning a pool a joy, instead of a chore.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Millions of pools use pucks with zero issues
PM,

Just pulling it out of my rear, I suspect that vast majority of pools in the US are tablet pools.. As a result, the vast majority of TFP members came here because their tablet pools were not issue free.. :mrgreen:

There is nothing wrong with using tablets to maintain your pool.. As long as you routinely test and maintain your water balance.

I am a SWCG fan because most pools that use tablets... smell like tablet pools, and someone still has to add the required weekly packs of Pool Store shock and that is not free. When you get out of a tablet pool you feel like you need a shower, but when you get out of a Saltwater pool, you feel like you just took a shower..

Salt systems are being banned in communities.
What cities in Maine have banned saltwater pools?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: proavia