Wish you would’ve done…or not

Mstrlucky74

Feb 14, 2021
NY
So we’re getting built in pool for next summer. Was going to do last but too much of a rush.
were looking at getting rectangle shape . About 30’ by 15’ . for those that have one is there anything you regret that you wish you would’ve did or something you wouldn’t have done? Besides not getting a pool…lol. Thanks a lot.

It may be helpful for you to describe some of your “wants” in a pool or things that deal breakers. This way we can provide pros or cons to those. Also, describe if you wish it to be a sports pool - low end on each side with deep in middle, or a exercise pool with swim lanes, etc. Also do you wish to have a spa?
Are you considering a gunite pool with plaster, a fiberglass pool or a vinyl pool? This will drive certain decisions for construction process.

One recommendation is to have it as a salt water pool which will make it easier to maintain and to ensure properly sanitized. Do not get a UV or a mineral sanitization device that some PB’s try to push. A good saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG) is worth their value over the long term to provide a truly trouble free pool.

Also include if you have young kids or older parents that will be using the pool. All of this helps to guide various options to a pool.
For one, there is no “standard” pool that fits all but there are common elements that are useful.

Also, get 3 bids so you can compare pricing and most likely there will be different types of equipment offered by each. The big 3 - Pentair, Hayward and Jandy are all good equipment but each has their strengths.
Look forward to following your build process.

I wish we had a bigger equipment pad with more room to get around for equipment maintenance.

Some things our builder highly recommended that were spot on; as big a pool that would fit in our space, a SWCG, and an oversized filter. 👍

Wish we did 32x16 or 34x18. We have 30x15 and it gets crowded.

Plumbed in a water filter with bypass before the autofill supply, or filled the pool with filtered water.

Got a bubble wrap pool cover with reel right away. Got it almost two years later. Besides the thermal and evaporative benefits the water is very clean all of the time. Chemical use it also much lower. Best investment hands down.

Made the spa deeper with more back jets for my 6’ 3” height. At least on one side.

Skipped the umbrella hole. I’m concerned it will break due to age or umbrella abuse. Kids like to hang on to the umbrella post.

Had pool returns placed on walls were there are no steps or seats. Starting to see stains below the returns. Nothing bad but noticeable.

Two skimmers for efficient surface skimming.

DEEPER!! Deeper with a diving board. I really miss diving. Alas the pool we have and love fits the yard and house.
Also wish I had banked to get stained artistic concrete deck finish instead of just brushed concrete.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Kellyp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wish my pool was bigger :)

My pool is a few weeks old and I'm ALREADY kicking myself for not going larger. The Covid price surge ate my budget and 4 more ft wide was an extra $7k, so I passed. It been full for a couple weeks and wanna know what I'm doing now ? Thaaaaaaaats right. I'm patio-ing that space that could have been more pool for $16 a square foot. 🤦‍♂️

MR Lucky, my have to haves are a Variable speed pump, a SWG and a honking cartridge filter.

Move my sunshelf to the side where the spa is and combine them so the spa waterfall ends up there. Make the steps on the other side where the sun shelf was smaller to increase the swimming area. Make the pool 2 ft wider. Not do fire water bowls maybe just fire bowls since we hardly ever turn on the features (noisy). Install a filter bypass to the pool. Install a heater bypass to gain efficiencies and help combat ph raise. Add more covered area around the pool.

SWCG is a must - will reduce pool maintenance to the bare minimum and provides peace of mind. 2nd suggestion if you are in a hot climate with lots of sun exposure - a chiller. Our water temp would hit 95° and we could not enjoy the pool. Even with our current 110° summer, our pool has reached a high of 83°. Also, get as much decking as you can. We find that the decking/patio areas are the most heavily used areas of our backyard. And if I had a rectangular pool, I’d have an automated cover. My pool is free form and I have to put the cover on manually. Getting those hooks in the anchors is a major PITA.

I already mentioned I wish my pool had an autocover. But, thought it might be helpful to mention what my pool DOES have that I wouldn't do without....
  • In floor cleaning system
  • Salt water chlorine generator
  • Acid injection system (IntelliPH)
  • Auto fill tied into water softener
  • MultiCyclone pre filter
  • 600sf cartridge filter
  • Pebble finish

I have an autocover and we love it when it works properly. Saves on a lot of maintenance and keeps heat in the pool which is important up here in Canada. Our auto cover has to ride on the surface of the pool deck as the pool is not rectangular. If I had to do it again, I'd go with a rectangular pool and have the cover built in just below the pool coping for a cleaner look so the tracks aren't visible. I'd also go with a cartridge filter rather than a sand filter as they clean faster if you ever get into trouble.

I wish I would have spent the $ for backfill eliminator on my FG pool's tanning ledge. I also wish I would've demanded rigid PVC

Reactions: dbalzan
I wish I'd gotten a deeper deep end. Got six feet, wish it was 10. Also wish my deep end had more space than my shallow end. We're swimmers/divers, if I want to soak I can go have a bath! Wish I done a water wall to hear the trickle as I sit by the pool.

As for what you absolutely, positively should have, SWCG! I wouldn't have a pool without it! I had to leave for a family medical emergency, been gone unexpectedly for over 10 days, other than my daughter adding a bit of muriatic acid, levels are dead on perfect.

Last edited:
It may be helpful for you to describe some of your “wants” in a pool or things that deal breakers. This way we can provide pros or cons to those. Also, describe if you wish it to be a sports pool - low end on each side with deep in middle, or a exercise pool with swim lanes, etc. Also do you wish to have a spa?
Are you considering a gunite pool with plaster, a fiberglass pool or a vinyl pool? This will drive certain decisions for construction process.

One recommendation is to have it as a salt water pool which will make it easier to maintain and to ensure properly sanitized. Do not get a UV or a mineral sanitization device that some PB’s try to push. A good saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG) is worth their value over the long term to provide a truly trouble free pool.

Also include if you have young kids or older parents that will be using the pool. All of this helps to guide various options to a pool.
For one, there is no “standard” pool that fits all but there are common elements that are useful.

Also, get 3 bids so you can compare pricing and most likely there will be different types of equipment offered by each. The big 3 - Pentair, Hayward and Jandy are all good equipment but each has their strengths.
Look forward to following your build process.
Well just got requote for SAME EXACT pool we were going to last summer (16x32 rectangle) and it went from $33k to 43K...WTF.

We want rectangle pool with deep and shallow end. Slide and diving board. I would just be for family/friends enjoyment. As for the construction we are now open as we will be getting new quotes. Want the something cost effective but quality. We are thinking of getting a separate hot tub but I believe you can get one as part of the pool, correct? If so, if you need to close your pool for the winter the hot tub that would be part of it could NOT remain open, correct?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.