Wiring VS Pump, Heater and SCG to Easytouch Help

Oct 5, 2016
San Diego/CA
Hoping someone might be able to assist confirming a few questions...

1. Should I connect the Pump, Heater and SCG all to the same 220v 20amp GFI in my ET or should I separate the power to any of them?

2. If I use the same breaker, would I use only one (pump?) relay and connect all loads to that relay or daisy chain the line sides to 3 different relays in order to separate the loads?

3 If only one relay is used would that connect to the Pump port on the control panel side so that all elements are powered when the pump is on?

Since each element has an independent low voltage control connection, it seems to me that one relay would work. And as long as the pump is powered on the heater and SCG would be powered.

Thanks for any help!

PS the manuals are terrible

Jason,

I "assume" you have the Intelliflo pump. If that is true, then the only thing that should be connected to the pump's GFCI circuit breaker is the pump itself. (Installation manual, page 3, section 10). The pump gets uninterrupted power directly from the Circuit Breaker. The control of the pump is over a serial cable.

The SWCG and heater can be powered from a second circuit breaker. As a safety feature, the SWCG is required to have its AC power pass through the "Pump/Filter" relay. This relay ensures that the pump is running before supplying power to the SWCG.

I don't have a heater, but my understanding is that they have their own safety features, so there is no requirement to only send them power when the pump is running.

I'm not at all sure why you need to use any relays other than the "Pump/Filter" relay for the SWCG. The heater control has its own dedicated output, so no relay is needed, and no relay is needed to run the Intelliflo.

Maybe I just don't fully understand what it is your are trying to do.

Oh!! You are correct.. the manuals are written in "Pentair" and not a language understandable by anyone with common sense.. :)

Jim R.

Different ways to do this. Certainly nothing wrong with SWG and heater being on the gfci breaker. More insurance from getting zapped in your pool.
Here is an easy way to do this.
Run from the breaker to the line side of the "filter" contact.
Then on the same screw "opposite side of same screw" run a second lead to your pump. Basically you just wire nutted them together.
Then on the load side, connect your heater and your SWG. They wont run unless the filter is on anyway, and both work off of 220v.
Beautifully simple.

Thanks for the replies!

Just-a-PB, I like the simplicity of the install you suggested. Will a 20 amp breaker wired the way you suggest be OK for all 3 pieces of equipment? Also, I'm confused why the SCG and heater would run to the filter pump relay.

If both have their own control cables shouldn't I just wire them directly to a breaker?

Different ways to do this. Certainly nothing wrong with SWG and heater being on the gfci breaker. More insurance from getting zapped in your pool.
Here is an easy way to do this.
Run from the breaker to the line side of the "filter" contact.
Then on the same screw "opposite side of same screw" run a second lead to your pump. Basically you just wire nutted them together.
Then on the load side, connect your heater and your SWG. They wont run unless the filter is on anyway, and both work off of 220v.
Beautifully simple.

I just answered my relay question by reading Pg24 of the manual carefully. Only need to attach SCG to the Filter/Pump relay. Is there any benefit to having the heater run through the Filter/pump relay as well? I'd assume it would be a good safety measure to guarantee the heater would only run when the pump is on?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.