Wiring up SWG to pump timer

Intra

Jun 20, 2021
Toronto
Hello,

The previous owners of my home had the pool pump on a timer switch but the SWG was just plugged into a receptacle. I found that the flow switch is not always reliable, allowing the SWG to run even when the pump is off. I have heard that the pump and SWG should be on the same timer switch to avoid this. My timer is a GE 15252 (https://usermanual.wiki/Document/GE152511525215253Instructions.3344179321/view), with 8 terminals. Terminals are currently connected as follows, from left to right:

Timer
1 The white (hot) wires from the line in and the pump are connected to terminal one
2 There is a black (neutral) wire from the line in and a jumper wire on terminal two

NC1 - not used
NO1 - black wire for the pump
COM1 - black wire for jumper from timer terminal 2

NC2, NO2, COM2 - not used

The Line and Pump grounds are connected together with a twist-on connector

I verified with a multimeter that between terminal 1 and ground is 120V and between terminal 2 and ground is 0V.

If I want to connect my SWG to the timer switch, what would be the best way? I was thinking:

-Connect the two white wires (for the pump and the SWG) and a third wire together with a twist-on connector, then run the third wire to terminal 1
-Connect the black wire from the SWG to the NO1 terminal
-Connect all grounds together with a twist-on

Would this be a sound way of getting the SWG and pump to turn on at the same time?

I've attached some pictures to help clarify things.

Attachments

• 20230402_152703_resized.jpg
    20230402_152703_resized.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230402_153112_resized.jpg
    20230402_153112_resized.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230402_161744_resized.jpg
    20230402_161744_resized.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 35
Timer should be:
1 The white (hot neutral) wires from the line in and the pump are connected to terminal one
2 There is a black (neutral hot) wire from the line in and a jumper wire on terminal two

Wiring standards in the US are:
  • White wires are neutral.
  • Black wires are hot.
Your wiring looks like a homeowner DIY job and who knows what was done.

Also neutral should NEVER be switched. Hot wire should be switched. And the timer is wired to switch the black wire which makes it more confusing.

I would trace that wiring back to the circuit breaker box and verify which wire is hot and which is neutral. If the black wire is really the neutral then it needs to be fixed as switching the neutral and leaving the hot wire always energized is dangerous.

I was able to trace the wiring and found that everything was connected properly in the circuit breaker box, all the way to the final receptacle box. In this box, the load black and white wires were wired to the wrong spot. I have corrected now. After watching this video (
, see 120V dual load simultaneous control), I believe the proper wiring should be:

Timer
1 Hot (black) wire from the line in and jumper #1 (black) wire
2 Neutral (white) wire from the line in and neutral (white) wires for the pump/SWG

NC1 - not used
NO1 - jumper #1 (black) wire and jumper #2 (black) wire
COM1 - hot (black) wire for the pump

NC2 - not used
NO2 - jumper #2 (black) wire
COM2 - hot (black) wire for the SWG

I will post a wiring diagram/pictures later. Appreciate any feedback on this wiring setup.

Reactions: generessler
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.