Wiring Salt Water Generator

hbg16

Mar 16, 2020
Raleigh, NC
Hi All,

I apologize at this might be lengthy but need to explain so you have the full picture. I just purchased a Salt Water Generator and am going to install it very soon. At the end of last season I purchased a VSP which I love. I have a separate Intermatic timer which I used with my original pump before I switched to my VSP which has an onboard timer.

That said now that I am going to install my SWG I will need to hook that up to a timer. Here is where I am running into my question. Below I have inserted a diagram of my current wiring setup. As you can see I have my timer connected to the breaker in my sub-panel and then from the timer I have it run to another single breaker box and then from there to the pump. (I inherited this setup and I am not an electrician but very handy).

Pool Wiring Setup Up.PNG

1. I would ideally like to have my existing timer still available incase there is an issue with the onboard one on my VSP.
2. If I hook up the new SWG to either the existing timer or single breaker that the VSP goes to then my timer wil control both the VSP and SWG so the onboard timer is not needed.

I guess I am just asking has anyone run into this and what did you do? or Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you in advance for any help and direction.

Howie

Saltwater systems are required to have a primary and secondary way to ensure that the cell never has power when the pump is off.. In the old days this was easy, as you simply connected the pump and the salt system to the same source of power. Unfortunately, VS pumps get constant AC power, so that idea no longer works.

What most people do is to wire the pump to the line side of the timer and use the load side of the timer to control the SWCG. You just set the timer so that the cell only gets power when the pump is "scheduled" to run. Most Cell's also have a flow switch.. The Flow switch is the secondary safety feature or back up system. It must never be used as the primary safety device.

Although rare, cells have exploded when not wired correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you @Jimrahbe. I have been thinking more about this and about a year ago I disconnected my heater as we never used is and I do not plan on replacing it either. I have a dedicated breaker for that and now thinking I could just use that dedicated line, buy a separate timer and hook the SWG up to that. I am guessing that would be the best case scenario?

Thanks.

Howie

Howie,

I thought about this, and if you are running the pump 24/7, then all you would need is the flow switch.. Only if you want to run the pump less than 24/7, would you need a timer for the cell... That said, a timer for the cell does give you more options on the amount of FC your cell can make.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.