Jul 28, 2015
Grand Rapids/MI
Hello everyone,

I am going to be purchasing a new SWG this season and am trying to plan how I am going to wire this thing up. I currently have a single speed pool pump(120v) running off a timer. I understand that the preferred way to wire the SWG is to have a 2nd wiring run off the timer to the SWG, However my timer is a good 15-20 yards from my pump and only has a single 12/3ga wire run to the pump. I am trying to find out if im ok to just disconnect the power at the pump end, install a junction box and pigtail/Y split the power so that this single wire run can feed power to both the pump and SWG right at the pool pad. The wiring I believe is sized appropriately as its all on a 20amp GFCI breaker, 12ga wire and my pump peaks at 11amps and the SWG peaks at 7amps.

thanks in advance for any advice. my goal is trying to avoid digging another 15-20 yard trench and burring more wire just for a 2nd run off the timer for the SWG if I dont need too.

B,

If you have a single speed pump, then you just need to connect the SWCG's power center to the same power that the pump is getting. So, the SWCG will only work if the pump is running.

I see no reason not to add a junction box, or timer, right at the equipment pad using the existing wiring.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since your timer is 45-60 feet from the equipment, is there a power disconnect at the equipment pad? If not, you may want to consider putting the junction box where the timer presently is and relocate the timer at the equipment pad.
45-60 feet is a long way to run if you need to shut off power at the pad.
There also may be an electrical code that requires a disconnect closer to the pad.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I had mine wired up the same way as you're suggesting. Power to the cell power supply comes off the same lugs as go to the pump.
Since yours is so far away, maybe put a switch in the box you're suggesting. There are also wi-fi switches that are designed for the load and outdoors. I'm thinking of putting one in. Programing for pump run time would be simple from your phone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wired mine from the timer to an off on toggle switch in a box near my pump, ( so that i can turn the pump off or on when backwashing or to take the skimmer basket out after cleaning,) then that will control the pump, leaving the toggle switch ON all of the time , except when you need to turn the pump off as mentioned for backwash, etc. , then I jumped from the power from the pump in to a new box with a receptical to plug in my SWG. , that way when ever my timer turns the pump on the SWG also turns on and off at the same time, and the toggle switch gives you easy access to turn off when needed , right close to the pump, mine has been like this for 18 years and works great for me , mine is 220, buy that should not matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.