Wiring a heater, SWG and pump to an Intermatic timer

kuzya

Sep 20, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I purchased an SWG and would like to install it this week. I also purchased a new Hayward heater and need to reconnect the wiring to
the switch from the heater. I had a very old Pentair heater before.

The old heater and the pump were both connected to one Intermatic timer - 104R.
There is also a fireman switch so that the heater shuts off 20 min before the pump.

I understand the SWG needs to be wired with the pump, both would come on at the same time.

Is it possible to connect all three to the same switch?

Also if I connect it all to the same switch - does it that mean that the heater will always come on when the pump is running?
This is not ideal because of the pool opening, pool closing and sometimes the water doesn't need to be heated.

Thank you.
Victor

I agree with @mguzzy . Having the pump and SWG on the same timer is key, as you don't want the SWG able to run while the pump isn't, for safety reasons.

The heater, on the other hand, is easy enough to manage manually. Any time the heater is on, the pump is running, and there is a demand for heat it will fire. But if you turn the heater off, it won't. Here's how that works for us:
  • We don't frequently get to use our pool during the week, so the heater stays off, but the pump/swg still run on a schedule every day to keep the water clean and sanitized
  • If the weekend weather is looking promising, we will turn the heater on Thursday, so it will start running Friday morning when the pump cycles on.
  • When we put the cover on at the end of the weekend, we turn the heater off, and the whole process goes back to the top

I like that idea. I will wire the heater to bypass the switch and use the wire that goes to the switch from the heater to connect SWG.

should I have an extra on/off switch on the control panel for the heater o just hard wire to the junction box? What do you guys think?

thank you!

My Hayward Heater is not connected to the timer that the VS pump and SWG are on. But it is on the same breaker in the sub-panel.

If that Hayward heater is like mine it has three modes, Standby, Spa, Pool. I leave mine in standby and manually change to Pool mode when the need to heat arises. I also have my VS setup to a low flow at night that the SWG still operates but the heater does not in the event I leave on over night.

the only problem with the heater not on the same timer as the pool pump is that fire switch will not work. pump can shut down and the heater can still be running.

I will have a switch for the heater so that can shut down power to the heater from outside without shutting off the main breaker.

Maybe I can hook the power from the fire switch to a switch box to a heater. This way if the heater is on and the pump is shutting off it will still work but I can always use the on/off switch.

Sounds like you need a second timer. The power side of the second timer can be wired through the first timer so you can set a separate schedule within the running time of the first one. That is how mine is setup to run my sweep's booster pump timer. But my SWG is connected to the main filter timer.

You said that you have a timer with firemans switch. Give me the model number and I can come up with a wiring diagram for your Pump, Swcg, and Heater.

Also can you tell me what size your breaker is, and is it a single or double pole?
It would help a lot if you could post a picture of how the timer is wired now.

Let me give you more information:
I had an old pentair minimax heater. It died and I replaced it with Hayward H400FDP heater plus I added the SWG.

The breaker is double pole 20 amp. I have the T104R201 timer enclosure.
The two hot wires from the breaker are connected to 1 and 3 (Line)
The two wires from the pump[ are connected to 2 and 4 (load)
One wire from the fire switch is connected to 2 (load)
One wire from the heater is connected the the other wire from the fire switch
One wire from the heater is connected to 4 (load)

I need to figure out how to wire all of this together. Heater, pump and SWG. Do I need the fire switch? I was reading online and it looks like hayward doesn't require it on the heater.

Thank you!
Victor

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had missed that you had a fireman switch for your timer when I previously replied, my apologies for missing that.

Did not know what the fireman switch did, so had to look it up. Some timers come with it, or can be added. It turns off the heater 20 minutes before the pump is to turn off. If like the link below, the fireman switch is low voltage (24v) and does not go to either load as it is not high voltage. It would go to a low voltage connector on a heater designed to use it, not all are. Might be able to connect to the Remote Thermostat Connections (which are Low Voltage) on the Hayward heater. It won't work the way you were trying to connect it to load.

Not confident the RTC would trigger the Hayward, need to dig into my service manual to understand how that works to offer guidance if you still need some.

Here is what I found:

Looks like the purpose is to extract the last bit of heat from the heater before the timer turns off the pump. Do you require this? If not you could disregard trying to connect it, at least for now. Wire the heater load 2 wire directly to the timer, not the fireman switch. It should then work.

Don't try to connect to the RTC, looks like that is for controlling via a remote thermostat instead of the one that reads water temp in the heater.

I found an old thread:

Some heaters require this to cool them off before the water stops. In that link it sounds like Raypak requires it for safe operation of their heaters. I think you are OK to forgo with the Hayward.

Bump this back up tomorrow and I'll see if I have a wiring diagram for your particular setup. If not I can make one.

Hayward calls the Firemans Switch connections "Remote Control" so you'll use that to turn the heater off with the Firemans Switch in the timer. NOTE: It won't be connected to AC power.

I didn't use the fireman switch. I connected all three devices to the switch. The only thing the heater has a double pole switch between the heater and the timer.

It is working.

Thank you everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.