wiring 2 speed pump to timeclock

jfloehr

Apr 1, 2022
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Hello - I am doing advance research to assist my electrician in wiring the following devices:
1. Intermatic RC2343PT timer (note: blower & freeze protection functions will NOT be used or connected)
2. Homeline 2-pole 20A 120/240 GFI 60Hz circuit breaker (two hot legs + neutral)
3. Pentair 1.5 HP 230v 2-speed pump (model# 340043) 1PH 60Hz

Assumptions regarding the wiring:

A) breaker neutral wire connects to timeclock white wire
B) one breaker hot line wire connects to timeclock black wire
C) other breaker hot line wire connects to pump terminal #1 (per pump diagram)
D) breaker ground wire connects to pump & timeclock ground wires
E) timeclock blue wire (hi-speed) connects to pump terminal #2 (terminal #2 is hi-speed per pump diagram)
F) timeclock gray wire (lo-speed) connects to pump terminal #3/4 (terminal #3/4 is lo-speed per pump diagram)

Also, Is GFI breaker needed?
Thank you!

Latest NEC 680 requires all pumps to be on a GFCI breaker. Do not use cheap GFCI’s as they are prone to trip from electrical noise. Pentair sells a rebranded Siemens GFCI. Use either Pentair or Siemens.

Also, if you intend to have a hot lug on the back of the pump be sure to label it as HOT (not switched) somewhere visible as the poor sucker after you working on it might think that the shut off timer means there’s no voltage on the backend of the pump. People should know better when working on electrical to check but people don’t think sometimes and you don’t want to shock the next guy.

If you insist on a two-speed pump (or already have one) you would do better with an Intermatic P1353ME (mechanism that fits all Intermatic enclosures) or PE153 (complete timer and enclosure). They have settings specifically for two-speed pumps that will not allow both speeds to actuate simultaneously. At best that would trip a breaker but can also quickly damage a motor. There doesn't seem to be the same capability with the RC2343PT. They can also be set up to break both power legs for safety

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.