WIres on Phone Jack for SWG Aquarite

GreenTerrorPool

Jan 4, 2017
PALM BEACH GARDENS, FL
So my flow switch quite working. I bought a generic and it works but the swtich gets stuck a lot.
Anyway, my question is I would like to see if the old one just had an issue with the phone jack part. I t just has a black and red wire
Can I clip off the phone jack end and then spice a new phone jack to the flow sensor and give that a try?
Has anyone done this with success before

thx
GTP

The short answer is yes, certainly to determine if that's all that needs to be fixed. You could use a jack with a wire tail and splice it together with wire nuts. If that's the fix, then you'd want to make the splice more permanent and weather resistant. You can buy a crimp tool and connector and do it right, in essence recreating the existing connection. Or you can make the splice you tested with more permanent. I like to solder connections like that, that solves for future problems like corrosion developing between wires that are just twisted together. Then I slip a heat-shrink tube over the solder joint (you have to put the tube on the wire beforehand), fill it with a bit of silicon caulk and then shrink the tube. You have to make sure the solder joints don't touch each other. You can use a separate tube for each, or offset the splices so that they can't touch, and use just one tube.

An alternate method is to solder the wires and then cover each splice (separately) with one of those wire nuts that have water-proofing goo in them. You can find those in the landscaping section of your local hardware store. They're used to splice irrigation wiring together. The solder is my own extra-effort touch, and makes the connection much more failure-resistant.

If you don't know how to solder, you can learn on YouTube. Or your third-best option is to use the goo-wirenuts without soldering.

Oops, almost forgot. Troublesome phone-type jacks can be a two-part problem. The corrosion on the cable end (which you'll fix as per above post), but also the corrosion on the contacts inside the female jack. You could try spraying some contact cleaner in there. And/or by VERY carefully scraping them clean, like with a small screw driver. Be careful not to mangle those, because replacing that jack (if even possible) would likely be a significant task.

thx for all help, next question the Aquat right "phone jack"connector only has a black and red wire
And I cant seem to find a phone line that has this. i do have one that has a green and black, and then others have 4 wires
Do i have to match up red with red and black with black when i splice?

It is not a phone jack that has 4 pins. It is a 6 pin RJ11 jack. Polarity or wire color does not matter. But you have to connect wires to the correct pins.

Hayward_Aquarite_GLX-PCB-XXXX_RJ11_PinOut.jpg

It’s an RJ12 which is the same size as a RJ11 but has a third pair for data. No idea why they’d use it if they weren’t going to use the 2nd OR 3rd pair, but maybe for future expansion ? I dunno. A regular phone cord will work to see if it fixes your problem. Amazon has replacements for cheap so no need to waste time splicing. This 14 ft one is $5.
if you need longer search for RJ12 6p6c cable

*edit*. Amazon links not working at the moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.