Wire Easy Touch 8 to control Intellichlor

Chellayh

Silver Supporter
Nov 10, 2011
Spring, TX
After having an IC40 installed late this summer, I finally figured out why I couldn't get it to produce enough chlorine. I was trying to control it with my Easytouch, and the installer didn't hook it up to the ET! So for now I am controlling it on the IC, but would like to figure out how to wire it to the ET myself. Below is the board in my control center

I think I need to hook a 4-conductor wire to the screw terminal leftmost on the bottom of the pic, but unsure how to with the number of wires already coming out of there.

Also, where would I get the 4-conductor cable? All the sources I have found online sell it 1000 foot for ~$500! I only need 5 feet or so.

Since your IC40 works but doesn't communicate with the EZTouch, where did the installer hook up the power for the IC40? Does your EasyTouch have a built-in IC40 transformer or is it separate from your EZTouch panel? If you have a separate transformer, you are correct in having to run the 4 conductor wire from the IC40 power transformer to the J20 connector block.

With all the wires currently going into the J20 connector, you should first remove all the wires going into the J20 block. Please note their location! Then "pigtail" short wires (2-3" long in the appropriate colors) into the J20 block and use wire nuts to connect all the wires currently in the block together with your new 4 wire from the IC40 control onto the new "pigtails". This way you'll only have one wire going into each of J20 screw terminals and all the other connections will be protected by the wire nuts.

You can use any solid or stranded outdoor approved wire, e.g., sprinkler control wire. These are available at the big box stores in by-the-foot pricing.

Cheryl,

It also appears that your installer did not run the cell's power through the Pump/Filter relay which is a requirement to insure that the cell can never be on if the pump is not on.

If your cell has power (Lights on) when the pump is off, your system is wired wrong and should be fixed. Even though the likelihood of failure is remote, the cell could actually explode.

Oh... and what tucsontico said above is right on the mark...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm pretty sure the power is run correctly. There is a separate power center for the IC. Electric runs from main pool control panel to the IC power center, to the IC. I just doubled checked & there are no lights on the IC (pumps not running).

What did you see that makes you think the power isn't run correctly?

Cheryl,

Well that is good news... The relay in the upper left side, that I can see in your picture, is "normally" the Pump/Filter relay and the one that controls the SWCG's power center. The relay that I can see does not appear to be used.

That said, it is possible to make any of the 8 relays the Pump/Filter relay, so I assume the installer just used a different one. Unusual, but not unheard of..

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad everything is ok..

Jim R.

I have an intelliflo variable flow pump and power is on it all the time so is the power to IC cell controller , The pump is controlled directly from the easytouch panel . Thay ( pentair ) has a expansion board for the control wires.

I have an intelliflo variable flow pump and power is on it all the time so is the power to IC cell controller , The pump is controlled directly from the easytouch panel . Thay ( pentair ) has a expansion board for the control wires.

Walt,

The pump should have constant AC power... but the salt system should not get power when the pump is off. If your cell has lights when the pump is not running then your cell is not wired per Pentair's specific instructions. The primary safety device is to have the power removed from the cell when the pump is not running. The Easytouch does this by turning the pump/filter relay off when the pump is off. The pump is not wired to this relay, it just turns on/off with the pump.

The secondary safety device is the cell's flow switch. It is not supposed to be used as the primary means of turning the cell off when the pump is not running, but some installers use it for that purpose anyway. The likelihood of a catastrophic failure is remote, but still possible.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You say it should be wired the the pump relay? I will do this on my day off . Thanks for the information . When I call Pentair all I get is a bunch of BS, I have never gotten the right answer to anything. From now on I will ask here on the forum for advise.
thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.