Earthman Bob

Bronze Supporter
Mar 25, 2019
Long Island
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I tested for CYA .... maybe about a month ago, and it was low, so I added the recommended amount. Just tested it again now, and the level is 90-100. (Don't know why that happened, but that's not the point of this thread.)

I'm getting ready to winterize, and Poolmath says I need to add 11 gallons of chlorine to SLAM to get the FC to 35.

First question is, is there any reason to bring the CYA down before winterizing?

Second, if I do that and bring the level to 35, how long do I need to wait before winterizing?

This is my first year doing this, so thanks for the assistance!

I'm getting ready to winterize, and Poolmath says I need to add 11 gallons of chlorine to SLAM to get the FC to 35.

If you don't have any reason to suspect any algae I would raise your FC to half FC level before you close.

You can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see if you pass.

First question is, is there any reason to bring the CYA down before winterizing?

No.

Second, if I do that and bring the level to 35, how long do I need to wait before winterizing?

CYA level does not change closing process.

BTW, there is no CYA 35 measurement. Your CYA is 30 or 40.

If you don't have any reason to suspect any algae I would raise your FC to half FC level before you close.

You can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see if you pass.

No.

CYA level does not change closing process.

BTW, there is no CYA 35 measurement. Your CYA is 30 or 40.
Thanks for the responses!

When I asked:

"Second, if I do that and bring the level to 35, how long do I need to wait before winterizing?"

I was referring to my FC level, not the CYA. In the article I read on TFP, it said:

"Two or three days before closing, I bring the pool up to shock level and hold it there until FC holds overnight (which it generally does right off on the first night). Then I let the chlorine level fall about half way back to normal levels, typically another day and a half."

So it was that part about letting the chlorine level fall about half way back to normal levels that I was asking about.

Thanks for the responses!

When I asked:

"Second, if I do that and bring the level to 35, how long do I need to wait before winterizing?"

I was referring to my FC level, not the CYA. In the article I read on TFP, it said:

"Two or three days before closing, I bring the pool up to shock level and hold it there until FC holds overnight (which it generally does right off on the first night). Then I let the chlorine level fall about half way back to normal levels, typically another day and a half."

So it was that part about letting the chlorine level fall about half way back to normal levels that I was asking about.

OK, I thought you were asking about lowering CYA to 35.

How long it takes for your FC to get down depends on your pools FC consumption. This time of year my pool only loses 1 to 1.5 ppm a day and less if it is cloudy like today. It could take a while to drop 18 ppm.

Reactions: Paulbhyo
OK, I thought you were asking about lowering CYA to 35.

How long it takes for your FC to get down depends on your pools FC consumption. This time of year my pool only loses 1 to 1.5 ppm a day and less if it is cloudy like today. It could take a while to drop 18 ppm.
So I guess winterizing will have to wait.

The leaves are starting to fall fast!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.