Winter test after 7 months

Bethany1983

Jun 7, 2021
Blackshear Georgia
Hi. It's been 7 months since I last tested my pool water. I use the TF-100 kit. I used to always have high alkalinity, otherwise everything seemed to be fine. The pool store would always give me dry acid pellets but I don't seem to need them now that I haven't used them (I was told to stop using them by this forum I think). The pool store was also always giving me a huge bucket of calcium stuff but I was told also by this forum that vinyl pools don't need calcium. So in 7 months I have not added anything to the pool except for 2 bags of salt back in the fall. I haven't added anything this winter. Anyway, I just want to balance my pool after the testing I did today. My vinyl salt water pool is only 1 year old. Can someone help me understand these readings? I don't know why I can't get a hang of what the readings are "supposed" to be. Anyway, I ALWAYS have a ton of springtails in my pool (mainly end up covered in the skimmer sock), and I read that they feed off of algae so I'm kinda wondering if maybe I have some algae that I can't see. My sod isn't brand new anymore. I don't have any kind of piles of wood or brush or anything old laying around the yard that needs cleaned up. Around my pool is a solid 7' wide of rock only before the grass even starts. My pool is a pretty blue color and I don't physically see anything off about it but these test results just have me confused:

FC = 4.5

CC = 0 (the water remained clear in the tube so there is no combined chlorine according to the test instructions. Is this normal??)

Calcium = 175 (turned a hint of really faded blue color at 7 drops but definitely turned a good light blue at 20 drops so I went with the 7 drops to get the 175??)

Alkalinity = 90

Salt = approx. 2700 ( I know I need to add about 3 bags)

CYA = Ok, I did this test twice in a row carefully to check for accuracy. I filled the tube all the way to the top and I could still see the black dot pretty well! What does this mean??

What do I need to get my water balanced? Especially the CYA?

Add 30 ppm of CYA using the sock method. Test a few days after the sock is empty.

Once you get to warmer water temperatures (Above 60F consistently) raise the CYA to 70 ppm. Test the CYA monthly and add CYA as necessary to maintain that level through the summer.

Other items are fine.

Add 30 ppm of CYA using the sock method. Test a few days after the sock is empty.

Once you get to warmer water temperatures (Above 60F consistently) raise the CYA to 70 ppm. Test the CYA monthly and add CYA as necessary to maintain that level through the summer.

Other items are fine.
I will look up the sock method. I will also look up what to use for CYA. I'm still getting familiar for what this stuff is. Yesterday is was 80 degrees outside. The day before is was 70. Last week it was 40. Today who knows, but it's on the warmer side. LOL

Bethany....are you using the PoolMath app? Or using the old PoolMath page found at the bottom of this page when viewed on a laptop/desktop?
I find it can be very helpful once set up and shows you what chemical is needed and how much when a tested level is too low. It may help you make sense of things better?

Maddie :flower:

Bethany....are you using the PoolMath app? Or using the old PoolMath page found at the bottom of this page when viewed on a laptop/desktop?
I find it can be very helpful once set up and shows you what chemical is needed and how much when a tested level is too low. It may help you make sense of things better?

Maddie :flower:
Hi. Yes I have used it before but the problem is that it wants me to enter my target numbers in order to calculate the math and I don't know what those are ever supposed to be!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.