Roswell GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
So first year taking care of a TFP pool. As winter approaches I have decided I don’t want to officially close the pool. I have a mesh green safety cover with the springs and I do want to cover it for the leaves but would like to keep the pump on and chemicals correct. I have a SWG plug so I will take it out and install the pipe. My questions are what then? Pump run time? Chlorine? Anything else? I can wait until whenever to cover it and I do have a frozen protection knob on the timer and pump. I have read many threads but can’t find one that mimics my situation here in North Atlanta.
I wouldn’t even put the cover on but am afraid of the leaf content if I don’t cover it at least come November.

Th pool company always drained it down below the skimmers and I assume blew out the lines. I don’t really think here in GA I need to do that

Thanks for the help.

As in many situations like us who are in those moderate-warm climates, we can let the pool stay open. Once the colder temps hit, the water will get chilly and drop to about 60 or below. Mine has gotten down to the high 30s-low 40s. No chance of freezing like up north. When the water gets below 60, chlorine demand comes to a crawl. You'll see. If your FC is 6 on Monday, you may not add bleach until Friday. Just depends on how cold the water is and if any junk got in the water that ate chlorine. Most other chemical levels will slow down as well unless you have some heavy winter rains.

Last winter was an odd one across the south. Many areas took some hits with freezing damage never seen before. So if you do stay open, think ahead about wraps, blankets, lights for heat, etc that you may need to use to keep the pump and/or plumbing above ground at the equipment pad from freezing. You'll find there won't be much else to do with the pool during the winter except check to ensure any junk gets scooped out.

I never even removed my SWG. Changed the pump to run mostly at night and checked the FC every couple of days. As the temps got cooler the SWG stopped functioning and I would put a few PPM in every couple of days. If there was a freeze warning, I would set the pump to run continuously for the day. Didn't even cover it. Just dipped out whatever leaves or sticks fell in. No big deal.

Things might be different with the new pool if I ever get it installed...but I doubt it.

Thank you for this thread! Your situations are pretty much exactly like mine. I use a leaf net until the leaves are finished, then pull it off and enjoy looking at the water during the winter. Looks great when there is snow! Last year was a disaster (first time owner) so now with TFP I feel alot better heading into this off-season.

I should add that I set the pump to run about 4 hrs a day (late night/early AM) to keep things moving. I think that's enough time? Also have a freeze protection thermostat that automatically runs when air temp is below 35 or so.

I'm doing the same this year. I may actually keep it heated until the costs become more than its worth. We don't have too many days below freezing here, and the nights are rarely below the mid-20's (and are often above freezing). My biggest concern is if the power goes out when we get that usual once a year snowfall. That happened to me last year, and it took GA Power a full day to get it back up. Apparently, most people here aren't closing them though.

Lots of threads last winter on how to handle surface equipment with unusually low temperatures in the south. Do a search of the forum.

You will most likely want to have some supplies available to manage your surface equipment if low temps occur. Tarps, blankets, drop lights, etc.

I'm doing the same this year. I may actually keep it heated until the costs become more than its worth. We don't have too many days below freezing here, and the nights are rarely below the mid-20's (and are often above freezing). My biggest concern is if the power goes out when we get that usual once a year snowfall. That happened to me last year, and it took GA Power a full day to get it back up. Apparently, most people here aren't closing them though.

That is my fear also, an extended power outage. I have a "plan" which is basically to run out and open all the unions and drain everything the best I can.

Lots of threads last winter on how to handle surface equipment with unusually low temperatures in the south. Do a search of the forum.

You will most likely want to have some supplies available to manage your surface equipment if low temps occur. Tarps, blankets, drop lights, etc.

Great idea, thanks again. Blankets and tarps won't be a problem, but running lights would be if the power is out.

I have a generator that will keep things going if need be. And I will have some tarps and work lamps ready to go for the equipment pad if needed. That’s a great idea. Those old style work lights will produce enough heat to keep it toasty underneath a tarp. Great idea!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well it’s just about time for putting on the safety/ leaf cover. Here is my plan.
1. Check numbers. Currently FC around 7.
2. Change pump run time to 4 hours around 4 to 8 am.
3. Remove SWG and install winter pipe.
3. Install safety cover.
4. Have backup plan in case seriously cold weather. (Tarp and work lights to keep pipes and equipment warm on the pad)

Questions I can think of.
1. I have a Stenner acid pump. It’s a 1/1 mix of MA and water. Currently with about 15 gallons in it. Will it freeze? Will I need to continue adding as much acid during the winter? After the water gets to 60 degrees I assume I will then need to add Chlorine? Will that slow down as well?
Is there a common trick to getting under the spring loaded safety covers to check water numbers?

What changes to upkeep if any, if I take the safety cover back off after all the leaves are gone?

Anything else i should know or think about?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.