Winter mesh cover quote about twice expected.

Deb04

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I got a quote from the Pool Builder for a new winter cover. Our old one has lasted 14 years, which seems good to me. We've patched holes in the past, but there are now a lot of holes.

The quote is $3150. I know all prices, esp pool related stuff has gone up, but I was expecting about 1/2 that. If that's what they are, that's what they are. Is that price reasonable? It's 38' x 18' and I've attached a pic below so you can see the shape.

I can see that covers can be ordered on line and websites seem to have a sale this weekend. Anyone have a recommendation for a website?
pool.jpg

If you're talking about a loop lock style that's about right. Does that price include installation or is it the exact same pattern as your old one?

FWIW, in 2012 I paid $2750 for a 20X40 rectangle LoopLoc installed. I think that's a great price with the current market.

You can't compare the generic cover prices from the discount magazines that show up in the mail. Your PB is likely using LL/Merlin etc.

You can also check the cover for a serial # at the tags. If you find it, you can call the manufacturer directly and order a new one without having to move any anchors. Freight costs may erase a good chunk of the savings, but you'll feel better about the decision either way. :)

I got a quote from the Pool Builder for a new winter cover. Our old one has lasted 14 years, which seems good to me. We've patched holes in the past, but there are now a lot of holes.

The quote is $3150. I know all prices, esp pool related stuff has gone up, but I was expecting about 1/2 that. If that's what they are, that's what they are. Is that price reasonable? It's 38' x 18' and I've attached a pic below so you can see the shape.

I can see that covers can be ordered on line and websites seem to have a sale this weekend. Anyone have a recommendation for a website?
View attachment 429618
My pool looks like a similar size and I was quoted $4k for the mesh safety cover style.

Ours cost around $2k 15 years ago and is still going strong. Brand is Katch-a-leaf. Based on how long our current one has lasted, I’ll look to them again if we ever need another one.

Reactions: newdude
Doesn’t sound out of range. My PB sold me one for my 14x30 pool, with installation, for about $2700 IIRC, two years ago. I got another quote from a local pool service/store and it was around $3000.

exactly the same as the old one so no installation required.
OK so that's a plus, for sure. Was the old one custom for the shape or off the rack as a pre-made cover for a common size/shape ? That affects pricing as well.

It is a loop-loc, exactly the same as the old one so no installation required.

Assuming they do not have to come out and re-measure the cover and also assuming they will not have to do any installation, the price is a bit high. Not totally out of line, but that is what I would expect to pay if they had to measure and install. Maybe $500 less if not, You could try another cover offering and get some more quotes. Most likely your builder is getting some decent profit out of that.

In 2020, I paid $2532 for a solid Loop Loc cover and cover pump. It was replacing a mesh Loop Loc cover so no measurements or installation by the pool company was needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume no measuring is needed since it’s from the builder that built the pool. So, what I’m getting out of this is maybe a little high but not crazy. I will try looking for the number on the old cover.

I assume no measuring is needed since it’s from the builder that built the pool. So, what I’m getting out of this is maybe a little high but not crazy. I will try looking for the number on the old cover.
Yep, everything pool related has gone up in cost since 2020, and inflation has made it go up even more. It’s crazy right now. I paid $20 for a cheeseburger and fries at 5-guys a couple weeks ago.

FWIW, in 2012 I paid $2750 for a 20X40 rectangle LoopLoc installed. I think that's a great price with the current market.

You can't compare the generic cover prices from the discount magazines that show up in the mail. Your PB is likely using LL/Merlin etc.

You can also check the cover for a serial # at the tags. If you find it, you can call the manufacturer directly and order a new one without having to move any anchors. Freight costs may erase a good chunk of the savings, but you'll feel better about the decision either way. :)
That's good info - Mine is a solid Anchor and has a few small holes - pool shape is like OPs. Any idea where serial number would be?

And keep in mind that the raw material for a cover is oil based.

Any idea where serial number would be?
Most covers have the manufacturer info on a 6 inch square (?) sewn on the underside along an edge. If it's a custom made cover, there is likely a serial # on it. With no serial #, it may have been a standard cover from a common size.

There is also tags like a mattress or clothing would have but that's not it.

If you can find the job number or the serial number, you may be able to order a cover directly thru:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.