Winter FC/CYA use SWG or Liquid Chart?

manofice3484

Feb 26, 2021
Charlotte NC
Hey all, so I use a SWG normally, and follow the SWG FC/CYA chart usually. It’s winter time and I’m using liquid Chlorine/bleach to avoid tablets. Do I now switch to the liquid chart or stay with the SWG chart while in the colder months?

Thanks in advance.

Switch to following the liquid chart in the winter months, when the water is too cold for the SWCG to operate and you are dosing with liquid chlorine.

--Jeff

Reactions: mknauss
You will probably find you won’t need a lot of liquid during the cold months. A gallon or 2 might last all winter.
Plus the water is colder which helps prevent algae anyway.
I keep my FC around 8 in the summer but closer to 3 or 4 in the winter

The reason for the different FC values between charts is that with LC, you add your whole daily amount in one shot and it has plenty of time to drift down slowly. The SWG chart is lower as there is a constant supply being added in small amounts, therefore much less swing over a 24 hour period. It’s a constant 4 (?) instead of a range of 6 to 3.

As said above, following the LC chart this time of year is like being on easy mode. And Hey !! It will give you a renewed appreciation for the lil bugger when he fires back up. Welcome back little buddy !!! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.