Will TFP recommended FC levels damage IC40?

rev29k

May 8, 2018
Tampa
Folks,

I happened to be reading through my Pentair IC40 manual, and in the section where is lists the recommended pool chemical levels (ie FC 2-4 per regular, NOT TFP, guidelines), and below a *notice that chlorine levels above 4.0 may cause corrosion of metal components.

Given I have recently moved to following the TFP recommended guidelines for chemical levels, which indicates a FC level of 4-6 due to the increased recommended CYA level, I am now concerned about this notice. What if you have a warranty claim and they test your pool to find a FC level above 4.0, and then decide to deny warranty claims? Does anyone have any insight to this, or come across this?

I came across this as I was noticing I am at the +500 range for my Salt Level reading from my IC40 when compared to my T-1766 reading (2900 SWCG vs. 3400 with T-1766). I also purchased a digital salt tester maybe 5-6 months ago, which always was spot on with my T-1766 reading, but now is reading almost exactly the same as my IC40's reading. I was reading the manual again to check for any documented accuracy range, which if course isn't in the manual. It's probably what tech support just mentions.

So anyways, what are people's thoughts on the effect of the TFP recommended FC level on metal components (excessive corrision)?

Thanks!

The Pentair levels are what is allowed in tap water, and they assume 0 CYA. Your pool has a fraction of the active chlorine of a pool with 1 ppm FC and 0 CYA.

My FC ranges from 4-7 ppm year around. My IC40 is in its 6th year of operation. No issues.

Manufacturers chlorine recommendations assume no CYA. The amount of active chlorine when using CYA is a small percentage of the FC level. Read CYA - Further Reading

We have never heard Pentair asking about water chemistry with IntelliChlor warranty claims. It is not an issue.

OK, that is very reassuring. Thanks guys! I just presumed they WERE assuming a CYA of 30-50, given it is in the section where they are listing every chemical parameter. It would be nice if they clarified that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.