Will TFP method work with tabs?

Apr 4, 2017
Prosper/ TX
Will this method work with chlorine tabs? We just built our first pool and we got 2 months free maintenance. Every week our numbers on the report are close. The guy adds 2 tabs I assume trichlor tabs to the auto dispenser deal and has the flow set to 3. Can I continue this and use the other chemicals to control the rest? This assuming I use 99% trichlor tabs that don't have useless junk in them like the Clorox tabs that I've heard will slowly throw off CYA. The Leslie's guy is familiar with TFP and said he just doesn't recommend liquid bleach here in TX as it doesn't last long in the heat, and that tabs will keep levels longer, along with a weekly low dose of shock.
Thought? Yes I'm new to all this and as confused as everyone else. If im way off, please help me get on track! Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

ALL Trichlor tablets add CYA .... so, to answer your title question ... Not likely that exclusive tablets will work in TX.

The guy at the pool store does not know what he is talking about. What we teach is setting your CYA to a good level and then maintaining the correct FC level for that CYA level. You can maintain the FC with bleach. If you keep using tablets, the the CYA is always rising and thus your required FC level goes up to. See the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Also, suggest you invest in one of the recommended test kits NOW ... and make sure that your "free" maintenance does not cost you a bunch to fix what they screw up.

I went the tabs/shock route for years because I didn't know there was another, better, way to go. The algae was out of control until I found TFP and found out why. It took draining my pool down 2/3's twice to get the CYA to 50 and since last summer, I've only used liquid chlorine. Tabs are for vacation time and I know how to adjust the CYA if needed. Do your new pool a favor, take testing into your own hands, ask many questions and listen to the knowledgeable people here. I've used liquid chlorine all this summer and zero problems. No algae. Crystal clear water. It's heavenly. Oh, and it's costing me a lot less to maintain too. Congrats on the new pool!

Tabs are a tool that when used wisely (read: knowing 100% the effect they have on the pool chemistry) can be used successfully. I've used them for vacation mode as well as startup additions of CYA.

Because tabs have the effect of increasing FC, CYA as well as decreasing pH you need to watch things closely. When CYA gets too high, you'll have to dump and refill water. In my area it's not cost effective to do that regularly. With my water, the constant acid additions that come with regular trichlor use means my pH is driven down and I need to add more chems to push it back up. My TA also gets pushed down which makes the water more susceptible to pH swings.

Basically I'm chasing more parameters by using Tabs than if I stick to using just Liquid CL. It has a minimal impact on pH which when my TA is at 80, pH is pretty stable.

I'm still getting a things back to balanced after a week of vacation with tabs used to keep the pool clear. TA was down, pH drop was significant, FC was high (as anticipated) and CYA was up. All within manageable levels, but additional attention was required.

I'd rather worry about one or two parameters for daily tests than three or four that require more chemical additions. Keep it simple IMO.

Most of us have theTF100. It's a great kit and easy to learn. I can pretty much guaranty that you will not regret your purchase. The cost of it will be less than one trip to the pool store when you start having problems doing it their way. Grab the Speedstir too if that is doable for you. As for bleach, make sure to check for the percentage. Enjoy your new pool!

Will this method work with chlorine tabs? We just built our first pool and we got 2 months free maintenance. Every week our numbers on the report are close. The guy adds 2 tabs I assume trichlor tabs to the auto dispenser deal and has the flow set to 3. Can I continue this and use the other chemicals to control the rest? This assuming I use 99% trichlor tabs that don't have useless junk in them like the Clorox tabs that I've heard will slowly throw off CYA. The Leslie's guy is familiar with TFP and said he just doesn't recommend liquid bleach here in TX as it doesn't last long in the heat, and that tabs will keep levels longer, along with a weekly low dose of shock.
Thought? Yes I'm new to all this and as confused as everyone else. If im way off, please help me get on track! Thanks

Welcome aboard!

The comments from your pool store illustrate the frustration tfp people have with many pool stores. Trichlor is Trichloroisocyanuric acid. It works out to about 50 percent cyanuric acid and 50% FC. Both are released as the tablet dissolves. Unfortunately the FC is consumed but the CYA persists and is only removed very, very slowly (less than 10% per month in my experience) so the CYA builds up to levels that inhibit the disinfecting properties of FC. Ironically this is especially problematic with the blistering heat in Texas that requires a LOT of chlorine addition. And why would you shock once per week? One brilliant aspect of the tfp method is chemical levels are controlled independently so there's no reason you ever get anything too high. Many of us actually run at the low end of the CYA range and use tablets when we're out of town and can't tend to the pool. This way the CYA level increases but is still acceptable and does not inhibit of the FC. When I get home I switch back to liquid bleach and only add CYA again if it gets too low. Unless you're out of town more than two weeks or so this works fine.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I'm in Fort Worth, not too far from you, so we both have similar weather. In the winter/early spring my CYA will drop to near zero from my 60ppm summer levels. I guess part of that is because of all the rain/overflow we get in those months. In spring/early summer, with my CYA near zero ppm, I will use tabs and maintain FC according to the Chlorine/CYA chart. So at first FC doesn't have to be very much. So I don't let my FC drop below 2ppm until the CYA starts to increase due to use of tabs. I'm careful to not use more tabs than are needed to maintain FC at/slightly above minimum for my CYA level at the time. By June/July, my CYA has reached my target of 50 to 60ppm, then I stop using tabs and only use bleach (unless I go on vacation). In the winter, when the pool water temperature drops below 60 degrees, I barely use any bleach at all, because Algae doesn't seem to grow when the water is that cold.

So, I get the convenience of tabs for a few months, then the bleach takes care of the rest of the summer/fall while the water temp drops.

My local Leslies told me that liquid chlorine can't be sold in Texas. When I told them that both Lowes and Home Depot just down the street sell liquid chlorine, they said "Well Pool Stores can't sell it", then when I pointed out that local pool store (not Leslies) sells it. They quit talking with me. Caught them in their own lie. I haven't bought a single thing from Leslies in the 4 years I've been using TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My local Leslies told me that liquid chlorine can't be sold in Texas. When I told them that both Lowes and Home Depot just down the street sell liquid chlorine, they said "Well Pool Stores can't sell it", then when I pointed out that local pool store (not Leslies) sells it. They quit talking with me. Caught them in their own lie. I haven't bought a single thing from Leslies in the 4 years I've been using TFP.

Wow that's too bad! Ironically, the best price around me here in S Florida for liquid bleach is at Leslies. Our store is pretty friendly but most don't have a clue about the chemistry... they should all complete Pool School.

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another irony. This statement is cut and pasted directly from Leslies website:

Liquid chlorine is a quick and easy way to keep your pool sanitized all year. Similar to other pool chemicals, there are a few factors worth considering before adding liquid chlorine to your pool water. Many pool owners use household bleach, though it only boasts an Available Chlorine (active ingredient) level of 5% compared to Pool Liquid Chlorine of 12-15%.

epro05, that's some good info for a local guy to have. Thank you. Unless anyone speaks or against that method, it sounds pretty solid. I've read that some pool stores will sell 12% which is fine if I've understood this site a little, it'll just take a little less. Kroger had some 8% the other day for cheap.

Walmart Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine 10% @ $3.64/gal. 1 Stop Pool & Spa on W. Spring Creek in Plano sells 4 gal 12.5% liquid chlorine. Bottles have a "born on" date that looks something like 017 166 which means the 166th day of 2017. You want the freshest you can find that was stored, preferably, out of the sun and the heat, as both will degrade the chlorine. Lower percentage stuff degrades at a slower rate. Home Depot for Muriatic Acid.

Try to find bleach/chlorine that's less than 3 months old for best results. In my sig I've got a link to a Julian calendar with the days of the year numbers added.

There are usually lot's of places you can get liquid bleach but it seems the best price is different depending on city, state,and even your country. There's a thread on here that gets updated every now and then. You could find it in the search and then ask for an update in your location. I'm sure you'll get a lot of very current info that way.

Good luck!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.