Will mustard algae die if I put Intex pool away for winter?

taracookie

Jun 14, 2020
Washington, DC
I’m having a terrible time getting rid of mustard algae in my 1,100 gallon Intex frame pool. I’ve been SLAMing for two weeks now and it still has not gone away completely. I’ve brushed and vacuumed (with one of those manual Intex hose/suction vacuums)- even used a toothbrush for some of the crevices. I saw some algae stuck in the vinyl holes that the frame poles go through, and even though I did my best to clean them, I’m afraid there could be algae I can’t reach. At this point Im ready to just drain the pool and put it away for winter. But Im terrified I would just have the same problem in the spring- can the algae survive the winter outside water? (It will reach freezing temps over winter if that matters.) If so, I may need to just buy a new pool. Would I need a new filter pump too! I have changed the cartridge but I don’t know if I need to do more with the filter.

pH is 7.8
CYA is probably around 20- it is less than 30 and my test doesn’t go below that but I have added Liquid CYA and the dot starts to fade at 30.
Alkalinity 90
Tested with Taylor K-1004 and the Taylor CYA kit.

Welcome to TFP :)

With such a small pool you probably should run it like a seasonal pool.. When you dump the water clean it with liquid chlorine and scrub the parts to kill everything.. then refill :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.