will higher FC make SLAM go quicker?

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I started my SLAM of the year, and at the time, I was out of the CYA reagent, so I trusted the pool store to test it, and it came out at 45, which was about the same as last year. I based my SLAM on that, and used 18 as my target FC. My FC loss numbers are all over the place compared to previous SLAM's. So I finally got my reagent, and ran my own CYA test, and it was 30 or even a bit less (the kit doesn't go lower than 30, but I could still see a faint dot). So with a CYA of 30, the FC shock level would only be 12, but I have been keeping it at 18.

My question is - does using a higher target FC shock, make the SLAM go faster, or is there no correlation to that?

Regardless of the answer, I am frustrated with this SLAM, as my first SLAM lasted 10 days, 2nd lasted 5 days, but this year I am at 15 days, and still lost 4 ppm from last night at 8 PM to this morning at 7:30 AM.

All other numbers are within range.

No, higher FC makes your chlorine dissipate quicker. FC decays on a percentage basis. It is best to test as often as you can and raise it back to shock level. Every 2 or 3 hours in the beginning if you can. This year seems a lot more pollen-y, I've had higher than normal FC consumption and had to ramp my SWG twice and add bleach a couple of times when FC dipped down below target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.