will higher FC make SLAM go quicker?

cholmes28

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I started my SLAM of the year, and at the time, I was out of the CYA reagent, so I trusted the pool store to test it, and it came out at 45, which was about the same as last year. I based my SLAM on that, and used 18 as my target FC. My FC loss numbers are all over the place compared to previous SLAM's. So I finally got my reagent, and ran my own CYA test, and it was 30 or even a bit less (the kit doesn't go lower than 30, but I could still see a faint dot). So with a CYA of 30, the FC shock level would only be 12, but I have been keeping it at 18.

My question is - does using a higher target FC shock, make the SLAM go faster, or is there no correlation to that?

Regardless of the answer, I am frustrated with this SLAM, as my first SLAM lasted 10 days, 2nd lasted 5 days, but this year I am at 15 days, and still lost 4 ppm from last night at 8 PM to this morning at 7:30 AM.

All other numbers are within range.

pooldv

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
No, higher FC makes your chlorine dissipate quicker. FC decays on a percentage basis. It is best to test as often as you can and raise it back to shock level. Every 2 or 3 hours in the beginning if you can. This year seems a lot more pollen-y, I've had higher than normal FC consumption and had to ramp my SWG twice and add bleach a couple of times when FC dipped down below target.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread