Will cal hypo make pool cloudy and a slight green tint?

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
I added a pound or so of cal hypo to a 10k pool yesterday as chlorine was at 1 and ch was at 270. I got a message today asking what I did as the pool was slightly cloudy and there was a slight green tint in the pool

Cal-hypo always creates some cloudiness. High CSI increases the cloudiness. The green is likely to be iron.

If there's a cartridge filter, check the cartridge for iron staining.

Check the CSI and look for iron stains anywhere.

In my opinion, cal-hypo is not worth using, ever.

This LSI was 0.05 before I added chemicals.

FC .5
Ph 8 (1 drop of acid demand to reach 7.8)
TA 110
CYA 40
temp 73F

He filled the spillway (infinity edge pool) a week or so ago. It was low but I don't know if he used the city water or the well water.

I will take a look at the cartridge next week. It's actually a three week old jacuzzi filter but I'm betting it's not a pleatco in there. I think I should be able to pick up some test strips for metal at the pool store, but what to do if it does test positive for metal. Should I just leave it alone. I've never used sequestrants before.

Never mix Trichlor and Cal-Hypo.

Never mix Trichlor and Cal-Hypo in the same floater. Use different floaters for each.

I think @moore887 added Cal-Hypo in a different way while there was also a Trichlor floater in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.