Will a Jandy RS4 be able to control all of my equipment?

pigskintd

Jul 7, 2020
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I am about to sign a pool contract and I am going back and forth between the RS4 and RS8. I just want to be able to control all of the features I have now. I have the pump, salt chlorinator, spa, lights, and heater. Can I control all of these with the RS4 and is there any standard pool equipment I am missing? I appreciate the help!

Welcome to TFP.

Depends on the specific models of the equipment. Is it a VS pump? Spa blower? How many lights? All lights to be controlled together or separately? Think you may want a chiller someday? Heater gas or Heat Pump? Type of pool cleaner?

Salt chlorinator and maybe the heater connect to the Filter/Pump relay.

RS4 has Filter/Pump relay plus 3 other relays. Aux3 is used by the spa spillover. So you effectively have two Aux relays for equipment in an RS4. Pool lights need at least one of them.

Welcome to TFP.

Depends on the specific models of the equipment. Is it a VS pump? Spa blower? How many lights? All lights to be controlled together or separately? Think you may want a chiller someday? Heater gas or Heat Pump? Type of pool cleaner?

Salt chlorinator and maybe the heater connect to the Filter/Pump relay.

RS4 has Filter/Pump relay plus 3 other relays. Aux3 is used by the spa spillover. So you effectively have two Aux relays for equipment in an RS4. Pool lights need at least one of them.
Here is what is listed on the spec sheet:
Jandy 3hp VS FLOPRO pump for pool
Jandy 2hp pump for spa (not sure on the number of jets yet)
Jandy CS200 filter
Jandy TruClear salt system 25k
Jandy JXI 400btu gas heater
Jandy RS4
4 led lights (3 in pool, 1 in spa)

Not sure what you mean by pool cleaner (new to this). There is a skimmer and a dedicated vacuum line
I don't really plan on adding anything down the road, I just want to be able to control all that is being installed
I appreciate the help

Get the RS8 and also dump the TruClear it is junk. Get either the Nature2 FusionSoft 1400 (and don't use the mineral section) or get the Aquapure 1400. Both are 100% compatible with the Aqualink. Make sure the Aqualink system you are getting is not PDA based!

RS8 will allow you separate control over the pool/spa lights and also you'll have extra capacity for things like controlling low-voltage garden lights.

Get the RS8 and also dump the TruClear it is junk. Get either the Nature2 FusionSoft 1400 (and don't use the mineral section) or get the Aquapure 1400. Both are 100% compatible with the Aqualink. Make sure the Aqualink system you are getting is not PDA based!

RS8 will allow you separate control over the pool/spa lights and also you'll have extra capacity for things like controlling low-voltage garden lights.
Thanks for the insight. What is junk about the TruClear? What should be the cost difference (roughly) by upgrading to the Aquapure? I made sure it was a iAuqualink 3.0

Thanks for the insight. What is junk about the TruClear? What should be the cost difference (roughly) by upgrading to the Aquapure? I made sure it was a iAuqualink 3.0

An over-abundance of failure reports. The top leaks from warps and the cells fail prematurely. Not to mention it is low capacity. How large is your pool? SWGs are rated for the pool size running at 100% 24x7. A larger SWG means it runs less and lasts longer. Price difference will be $1k more I believe but that depends on your builder. It is what he should have spec'd to begin with. IMO, TruClear is more for retrofits and not new installs.

An over-abundance of failure reports. The top leaks from warps and the cells fail prematurely. Not to mention it is low capacity. How large is your pool? SWGs are rated for the pool size running at 100% 24x7. A larger SWG means it runs less and lasts longer. Price difference will be $1k more I believe but that depends on your builder. It is what he should have spec'd to begin with. IMO, TruClear is more for retrofits and not new installs.
This is why I came here it double check before we have our design appointment. Our pool is about 410 sqft and roughly 7,500 gallons.

This is why I came here it double check before we have our design appointment. Our pool is about 410 sqft and roughly 7,500 gallons.

With the spa and all it is just 7500 gallons? For your setup you could get away with a smaller cell like the 700 series. It will cost a little less. Larger one will still allow you to run it at a lower percent and less often, however.

With the spa and all it is just 7500 gallons? For your setup you could get away with a smaller cell like the 700 series. It will cost a little less. Larger one will still allow you to run it at a lower percent and less often, however.
I forgot about the spa, that is an additional 700 gallons. So we are looking at 8,200 gallons in total.

I concur with get the RS8. Your RS4 would be full with no flexibility for future needs.

Reactions: pigskintd

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I concur with get the RS8. Your RS4 would be full with no flexibility for future needs.
I see you have Hydrazzo, I am curious if you think that surface is too smooth for an active sport pool? We are installing a permanent basketball hoop, so I wanted something that would not tear our feet up, but I also don't want it to be too slick.

I see you have Hydrazzo, I am curious if you think that surface is too smooth for an active sport pool? We are installing a permanent basketball hoop, so I wanted something that would not tear our feet up, but I also don't want it to be too slick.

I don't find Hydrazoo slick at all. Just nice and smooth like a polished tile floor. Your feet don't go flying out from under you in the pool.

Reactions: pigskintd

What is PDA based? What is that (Iphone/Android controlled?)??

What is PDA based? What is that (Iphone/Android controlled?)??

Yeah what he said. The RS system has smartphone control and also you can control the pool from any Internet browser. In addition, it also has Alexa control. So you can tell Alexa to "turn on the waterfall", or "turn on the spa lights". I mentioned PDA because some builders will try to sell you the PDA based system which is obsolete.

If you go with the RS8 system, discuss with your builder how you want to control everything. If you want the spa lights controlled separately from the pool, you need to tell him so it is wired and setup that way. The default way builders set this up is to wire them all together as one control unit. I also suggest having them set up an outlet in your pool area where you want low-voltage lights. Connect this outlet to the Aqualink power center and set up with a relay within Aqualink. This will allow you to control low voltage garden lights, pathway lights, etc. I do this on mine and use the Aqualink dusk timer to automatically turn on my garden lights at dusk and turn them off at 11pm. I also suggest have another outlet or 2 wired back to the Aqualink power center each on its own breaker. You don't necessarily have to control those lights with the Aqualink but you'll get more utility outlets to use for things like speakers, sump pumps and such and in the future you can add control via Aqualink to that outlet if you desire since they are wired into Aqualink's load center. The Aqualink power center has plenty of capacity for breakers it is a full load center.

Lastly, discuss with your builder how you want your valves (JVAs) automated. You might want granular control over water features if you have any like sheer descents or bubblers. Jandy has a module called a "SmartJVA" board which allows granular control in 5% increments over valve positioning. This is useful if you are balancing a JVA between several water features. Don't be surprised if your builder has never heard of this though.

Reactions: Wolfepack88
This is probably a dumb question, but if I switch to the RS8, do I need to be sure that they add the components (the black things that attach to the valves, actuators I believe?) or is that something that is automatically a part of the RS8 system?

Yeah what he said. The RS system has smartphone control and also you can control the pool from any Internet browser. In addition, it also has Alexa control. So you can tell Alexa to "turn on the waterfall", or "turn on the spa lights". I mentioned PDA because some builders will try to sell you the PDA based system which is obsolete.

If you go with the RS8 system, discuss with your builder how you want to control everything. If you want the spa lights controlled separately from the pool, you need to tell him so it is wired and setup that way. The default way builders set this up is to wire them all together as one control unit. I also suggest having them set up an outlet in your pool area where you want low-voltage lights. Connect this outlet to the Aqualink power center and set up with a relay within Aqualink. This will allow you to control low voltage garden lights, pathway lights, etc. I do this on mine and use the Aqualink dusk timer to automatically turn on my garden lights at dusk and turn them off at 11pm. I also suggest have another outlet or 2 wired back to the Aqualink power center each on its own breaker. You don't necessarily have to control those lights with the Aqualink but you'll get more utility outlets to use for things like speakers, sump pumps and such and in the future you can add control via Aqualink to that outlet if you desire since they are wired into Aqualink's load center. The Aqualink power center has plenty of capacity for breakers it is a full load center.

Lastly, discuss with your builder how you want your valves (JVAs) automated. You might want granular control over water features if you have any like sheer descents or bubblers. Jandy has a module called a "SmartJVA" board which allows granular control in 5% increments over valve positioning. This is useful if you are balancing a JVA between several water features. Don't be surprised if your builder has never heard of this though.
I know very little about automation. Due to your suggestion, I am switching to the Aquapure 1400. Is anything additional needed to hook this up with automation? Do the salinity levels show in the app, or just on the outside unit? Automation confuses the heck out of me and unfortunately, I cannot fully trust the pool builder knows what is best/right.

This is probably a dumb question, but if I switch to the RS8, do I need to be sure that they add the components (the black things that attach to the valves, actuators I believe?) or is that something that is automatically a part of the RS8 system?

Actuators come separately on an RS4 or RS8.

I know very little about automation. Due to your suggestion, I am switching to the Aquapure 1400. Is anything additional needed to hook this up with automation? Do the salinity levels show in the app, or just on the outside unit? Automation confuses the heck out of me and unfortunately, I cannot fully trust the pool builder knows what is best/right.

Your builder should know what to get to make this work. It usually comes with a package that includes a SWG power supply that integrates into the Aqualink control center. You will be able to see the salinity and percent running with the automation as well as the LCD panel on the Aqualink box.

1628262830261.png
1628262902817.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.