Will a bigger/faster pump heat up the pool faster when using solar panels?

Slippery

Jul 15, 2018
Portland or
I just installed a new bigger/stronger/faster pump a few days ago and I am not seeing the massive heat gains I was expecting. I don't know where I got the idea that moving water faster through the panels will create more heat. So what say you? Does more water going through my panels give me more heat?

Reactions: mas985
The efficiency loss due to flow rate is not all that much unless the flow rate is extremely low. Once the flow rate through the panels reaches 0.1 GPM/sqft, there is not much gain after that. With 200 sqft of panels, you should have 20 GPM to maximize efficiency. You may of had that to begin with so you won't get much more heat gain.

Why do you feel that you aren't generating a lot of heat?

Reactions: Joshii
The efficiency loss due to flow rate is not all that much unless the flow rate is extremely low. Once the flow rate through the panels reaches 0.1 GPM/sqft, there is not much gain after that. With 200 sqft of panels, you should have 20 GPM to maximize efficiency. You may of had that to begin with so you won't get much more heat gain.

Why do you feel that you aren't generating a lot of heat?
Thanks. It's just a guess holding my hand over the return judging the way it felt. Not scientific at all :)

Actually, not feeling hot water coming out of the returns can indicate an efficient system. The solar return temperature should not be more than 5 degrees above the solar supply to maintain efficiency.

Reactions: cr0ntab
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.