Will a 2 speed pump work in my pool?

flyboy320

Jul 23, 2009
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I currently have a single stage pump (Jandy SHPM 1HP). The pump sits about 4'9" above the water level and about 30' from the pool. I have measured the suction to be about 8"mg and the pressure about 10"mg (with the filter almost needing cleaning). It has two inlet pipes, one from the skimmer at 2" and the other slightly below the water line at 1.5", and has one outlet pipe at 2". I am considering replacing the motor with a 2 speed option and keep the wet side housing. My concern is with the pump sitting almost 5' above the water and 30' from the pool, will a 2 speed pump running on the low speed have enough speed/power to actually move the water?

The height of the pump only matters for priming which would be done on high speed anyway. After it is primed, low speed should not be a problem.

However, the flow rate on low speed will be half as much as high speed so don't expect the same water movement. The skimmers should still work fine at lower flow rates albeit at a slower rate, ~2x longer for the same skimming action.

Reactions: flyboy320
The pump should remain primed after it is turned off so it should be able to start on low speed for a cleaning cycle. If the pump loses prime when it is shut off (or on low speed), it has an air leak that should be addressed.

I curently have a Jandy Aqualink system with a PDA controller, era around 2011, and a single speed Jandy Stealth (SHPM1.0CND 1.0HP) pump and I would like to swap the motor out with a variable speed like this one here. Can this motor be controlled by the Aqualink system without any additional upgrades? Would I need something like the V-Green Automation Adapter Kit?

I would like it to be automated and not use the controller that comes with the V-Green pump since I need the pump to come on full speed when the heater turns on, or I turn on the waterfall.

Would a two speed pump be easier to wire or hookup, like this one here? I could live with just two speeds if a two speed pump would be easier to integrate into the Jandy Aqualink system.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 5
If you want to control the V-Green with your controller, you will need the the adapter kit. But keep in mind, every speed requires a separate relay in the control unit.

A two speed isn't all that easier, it would just use less relays and will probably end up costing close to the V-Green anyway. But of course, you probably don't really need all 4 speeds of the V-Green either.

Reactions: flyboy320
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.