Wildfire smoke — effect on pool chemistry?

ScubaDoo

Jul 3, 2019
Great White North
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
I was wondering this lately… We’re in Southern Ontario and the smoke from the fires in Quebec the last few weeks has been bad. We also had a cloudy algae issue last week (around same time smoke was really bad) that I’ve been SLAMing for about a week now…

My question was if any of the water chemistry experts can tell me what kind of effect this smoke is having on the water? I know it’s getting in as there’s a black water line after bad nights of smoke — but any idea what chemicals/contaminants it may be adding? Could this be why there was a spontaneous algae bloom, I’m on top of the water daily for testing so it was a surprise it got away from me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You may experience pH changes. Smoke and soot are usually acidic due to acidic nitrogen and sulfur compounds released by the fire. There are other chemicals in the smoke/soot, but I would be surprised if they cause algae. If you maintain your FC for your CYA, smoke will not cause algae. Link-->FC/CYA Levels

I was wondering this lately… We’re in Southern Ontario and the smoke from the fires in Quebec the last few weeks has been bad. We also had a cloudy algae issue last week (around same time smoke was really bad) that I’ve been SLAMing for about a week now…

My question was if any of the water chemistry experts can tell me what kind of effect this smoke is having on the water? I know it’s getting in as there’s a black water line after bad nights of smoke — but any idea what chemicals/contaminants it may be adding? Could this be why there was a spontaneous algae bloom, I’m on top of the water daily for testing so it was a surprise it got away from me.

Thanks!
I'm not seeing any issues with my water.

We have dense smoke from the wildfires. I also am experiencing algae. FC, pH, TA, all within parameters, CYA at 35, due to having to drain lots of rain water. Am adding CYA today after draining and backwashing. I am looking at purchasing Duda Energy Boric Acid to control the algae. For some reason, the clear solar cover tends to contribute to algae as opposed to the blue covers? Also, question about the boric acid, will this harm a dog who occasionally swims in the pool? Thanks!

Algae appears when chlorine is inadequate.

I could see that the smoke particulate may increase FC consumption but the pool owner needs to test frequently and boost chlorine accordingly if they detect an increase in consumption.

In fact, I would suggest to increase your FC level by maybe 50% during this time of contamination........stay ahead of it.

I know a bunch of pool owners in central New York had algae issues during the last round of smoke (myself included and my FC never dipped). I also saw a dip in pH.
My pH dipped also, as sometimes it will drift. As you know, we’ve had a lot of rain! I’m brushing and vacuuming today, followed by back flush to waste. Looking at adding boric acid to assist with algae and make the water sparkling clean with nominal change to pH and TA. Concern with dog that visits, swims and drinks some water. Borax will affect both, leading to the ph/TA chemical dance!

My pH dipped also, as sometimes it will drift. As you know, we’ve had a lot of rain! I’m brushing and vacuuming today, followed by back flush to waste. Looking at adding boric acid to assist with algae and make the water sparkling clean with nominal change to pH and TA. Concern with dog that visits, swims and drinks some water. Borax will affect both, leading to the ph/TA chemical dance!
I would think if you have algae you would need to SLAM.

Reactions: Gardenmom

I could see that the smoke particulate may increase FC consumption but the pool owner needs to test frequently and boost chlorine accordingly if they detect an increase in consumption.

In fact, I would suggest to increase your FC level by maybe 50% during this time of contamination........stay ahead of it.
Thank you for the advice. I have been testing daily,FAS/DPD using pool math. Trying to keep FC above 4, going through a lot of liquid chlorine. CYA low at 35, rain isn’t helping, skimmer overflows then having to drain. I’ll keep at it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Like PoolStored said, I suspect the nitrogen and sulfur oxides reacted with the chlorine...but it was interesting. I'm pretty darn diligent about testing and I never dipped out of target. I'm curious to see what happens this round.

Part of me wonders if what I was treating as algae was actually just smoke particulate as well...

Reactions: ScubaDoo
Wood ash mineral composition is primarily Calcium, Carbon and Potassium. Less Mn, Mg and Phosporus.
So Calcium Carbonate 25%+, Potash <10% and 1% or less Phosphate.
A bunch of trace minerals also so consider the advantages and breath in your vitamins.

Wood ash mineral composition is primarily Calcium, Carbon and Potassium. Less Mn, Mg and Phosporus.
So Calcium Carbonate 25%+, Potash <10% and 1% or less Phosphate.
A bunch of trace minerals also so consider the advantages and breath in your vitamins.
Not if you have asthma. I’m not supposed to be outside, however, pool maintenance calls.

Was wondering the same thing - thanks Canada. :)
- A New Yorker.
Just a side note: these fires are 1600km (1000mi) north of Toronto in the sub-arctic by Hudson Bay.There is nothing but wilderness up there. The issue is getting the needed equipment there to fight these extremely remote yet massive fires. It’s not like we’re enjoying it either… (just saying)

Not if you have asthma. I’m not supposed to be outside, however, pool maintenance calls.
Not sure if you’ve seen/smelled this yet but up here on certain days the airs been like burning plastic or turpintine. Apparently the longer the smoke sits in the air and is exposed to UV radiation it changes the composition.

I read a report that said:
The VOC’s from the wildfire smoke interacts with the UV radiation to create benzene and formaldehyde compounds in the atmosphere. These are toxic air pollutants that can have very adverse effects on human and animal health – and they happen to smell like burning plastic.

• Wow
Reactions: Gardenmom
Not sure if you’ve seen/smelled this yet but up here on certain days the airs been like burning plastic or turpintine. Apparently the longer the smoke sits in the air and is exposed to UV radiation it changes the composition.

I read a report that said:
The VOC’s from the wildfire smoke interacts with the UV radiation to create benzene and formaldehyde compounds in the atmosphere. These are toxic air pollutants that can have very adverse effects on human and animal health – and they happen to smell like burning plastic.
Yikes! That’s not good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.