Wifi at pool area

Mar 14, 2016
Fl
Hello,

I wanted to know what other people are doing about spotty WiFi at their pool area. My pool is about 25 feet away from my back door and wifi coverage is spotty.

Is there a good way to do it without running an ethernet cable? Curious what other people are doing to handle this.

If you're able, try to move your router to a location closer to the pool area. If you're leasing the router, call your service provider and see if they have a better/updated router available. I went with a Google Mesh router system and have coverage throughout my property, but it's a bit pricey.

I replaced my home access point with a Ubiquiti commercial type. With this I was able to get rid of all extenders and have WiFi 500 feet outside the house. It is not easy to set up so you will probably need some help. However once set up there have been zero problems. It's the strongest WiFI I have had and there is only once access point. Before I had to change over to extenders to get through the whole house. I used POE (power over ethernet) so that I would not have to 120V to the access point. This also involved me getting a small router with POE capabilities.

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Long Range - Wireless Access Point - 802.11 B/A/G/n/AC (UAP-AC-LR-US): Gateway

Reactions: s_dubb
Have you run a wifi signal analyzer on your phone to see what you might be competing with ? There are free apps for apple and android.

I run a dedicated access point with wired ethernet backhaul for my backyard wifi. I run it on its own SSID, on a channel that my neighbors are not using and easily get 50 to 75 foot range on 2.4Ghz. This router is only Wireless N so I did not enable the 5Ghz antenna.

Mesh is cool, but a simple access point works well for me.

YMMV

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I replaced my home access point with a Ubiquiti commercial type. With this I was able to get rid of all extenders and have WiFi 500 feet outside the house. It is not easy to set up so you will probably need some help. However once set up there have been zero problems. It's the strongest WiFI I have had and there is only once access point. Before I had to change over to extenders to get through the whole house. I used POE (power over ethernet) so that I would not have to 120V to the access point. This also involved me getting a small router with POE capabilities.

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Long Range - Wireless Access Point - 802.11 B/A/G/n/AC (UAP-AC-LR-US): Gateway
i agree with you here. i have started adding their products and by far the best I have used. this is my new access point for my pool house. has been perfect so far.

Have you run a wifi signal analyzer on your phone to see what you might be competing with ? There are free apps for apple and android.

I run a dedicated access point with wired ethernet backhaul for my backyard wifi. I run it on its on SSID, on a channel that my neighbors are not using and easily get 50 to 75 foot range on 2.4Ghz. This router is only Wireless N so I did not enable the 5Ghz antenna.

Mesh is cool, but a simple access point works well for me.

YMMV
i personally like dedicated access points over mesh also. speed is much better, at least in my home.

TMMV

Reactions: s_dubb

Yes, yes, yes to all of this. I have used this equipment for a few people and it’s great. If you are somewhat proficient with networking it will help. If you get stuck they have a forum to help you out.

I replaced my Netgear nighthawk router and and range extender in place for a Netgear Orbi router and 3 satellites, I now have strong WIFI to front curb and back lot line.
225 linear feat- 22,000 Sq Ft.
Check Amazon for factory Auth. Refurb, almost half the cost of new and every bit as clean and complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.