Wi-Fi replacement for an x10 plug in pool controler?

Jul 22, 2018
CA
Hello forum,

We have an x10 "powerhouse mini controller" that used to control our underwater pool light as well as a 1hp pump for a waterfall. The x10 is about 12 years old or so and for a while now it will no longer turn on our pool light. We used to be able to plug it into any electrical outlet in the house to power on/off both pump & light, but now the x10 needs to be plugged into an outlet that's right near the pump just to turn the pump on (light still doesn't turn on though).

We want to upgrade to wireless, something that doesn't require having to plug in. We're looking at Wi-Fi so that we can control the pump and the light from our smartphones. Also, don't want to spend 4, 5 or 600 dollars and up just for the controller alone.

I'm no electrician and that's one area of home improvement I just don't like to mess with so I'll be contacting an electrician to work on this.

I've only found 1 option so far, WiOn 50054 Outdoor Wi-Fi Smart Box, Wireless Time Switch. It's about $60 and from what I've read, looks like exactly the kind of thing we are looking for. However, the major downside to that particular switch, is that it controls only one thing. Therefore, we would need to have 2 of them just to control the waterfall pump and the pool light. Then, if we ever wanted to control the main pool pump (2.5 hp), then we would need to buy a 3rd WiOn switch.

Are there any other outdoor WiFi alternatives, especially something that could control multiple items from one switch?

Thanks.

Are there any other outdoor WiFi alternatives, especially something that could control multiple items from one switch?

Thanks.

I've searched and haven't found anything, short of going with a more expensive automation system. You can attach two loads to the Wion switch, but you won't have independent control of each device. I've been using the Wion switch for my waterfall/slide pump for the last few months, and so far it has worked flawlessly. If you find a better alternative, please let us know.

Thanks,

Mike.

Not sure of you installation requirements, but something like this? I don't believe it's for out door use, or wet locations so you would need to have the electrician create a waterproof enclosure. If you start looking at the home automation kits and such there are so many options. Get several of these and plug them into one of these. Get creative with enclosure and weather proofing.

Is your wiring all in the same spot? Are the pump and light hard wired or do they plug in? The is so much home automation stuff out there now there's certainly possibilities.

My X10 also died. It appears that the line noise from all the LEDs I’ve added (including the pool light) are problematic. According to my research I would have to install line filters all over the place to get it working again. Since it’s ancient tech, that makes no sense. So I’m in exactly the same boat.

For my lights and any other simple 110 circuit, I’m going to try these:

Smart Switch by MartinJerry | Compatible with Alexa, Smart Home Devices Works with Google Home, No Hub required, Easy installation and App control as Smart Switch On/Off/Timing (2 Pack) - - Amazon.com

For the pump circuit I need a 220v DPST rated switch. So far this one seems to be the choice.
WiOn 50054 Outdoor Wi-Fi Smart Box, Wireless Time Switch - - Amazon.com

My biggest concern is the range of my WiFi system. If it doesn’t reach the pool equipment area, I may have to add in the cost and hassle of some type of range extension equipment. If everything works as advertised, when finished I’ll just tell Alexa to “turn on the pool lights”. Or I can use my iPhone to set up a preset “scene”. And if my current WiFi does the job, I can pull it off for about $100.

If anyone has better choices for equipment or any other suggestions, I’d like to hear them.

My X10 also died. It appears that the line noise from all the LEDs I’ve added (including the pool light) are problematic. According to my research I would have to install line filters all over the place to get it working again. Since it’s ancient tech, that makes no sense. So I’m in exactly the same boat.

For my lights and any other simple 110 circuit, I’m going to try these:

Smart Switch by MartinJerry | Compatible with Alexa, Smart Home Devices Works with Google Home, No Hub required, Easy installation and App control as Smart Switch On/Off/Timing (2 Pack) - - Amazon.com

For the pump circuit I need a 220v DPST rated switch. So far this one seems to be the choice.
WiOn 50054 Outdoor Wi-Fi Smart Box, Wireless Time Switch - - Amazon.com

My biggest concern is the range of my WiFi system. If it doesn’t reach the pool equipment area, I may have to add in the cost and hassle of some type of range extension equipment. If everything works as advertised, when finished I’ll just tell Alexa to “turn on the pool lights”. Or I can use my iPhone to set up a preset “scene”. And if my current WiFi does the job, I can pull it off for about $100.

If anyone has better choices for equipment or any other suggestions, I’d like to hear them.

My only recommendation is to try to find devices from the same manufacturer that share the same app. I really like TP-Link products for simple switches, but they don't make an outdoor hardwired switch capable of operating a pool pump. So far, the Woods Wion 50054 is the best option and, despite some negative reviews on Amazon, it has worked well for me. Try taking your phone out to the pool pad and check you WiFi signal.

I had some WiFi dead spots on my property. I switched to the Google Mesh WiFi router system and now have full coverage with a strong signal on the property which is about 350' deep. It's a bit pricey, but worth it. Not leasing a router through my internet provider will pay off the Mesh system in ONLY 5 years.

Mike.

Trying to find equipment from a single manufacturer at anything close to 3x the cost is a real challenge. Although the WiOn has some mixed reviews, paying $300-500 instead of $59 just isn’t in my budget.

Well it all works! Two of these to control pool and spa lights
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C235D9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of these to control the spa
https://www.amazon.com/WiOn-50054-Outdoor-Wireless-Switch/dp/B00ZYLTJ16/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532745957&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Wion&psc=1

So $100 to add iPhone and Alexa control to my spa and lights. It took an additional $25 or so for wire and miscellaneous items to install it and several hours get it installed and interfaced. But it does work.

Because my pool equipment is in the furthest corner of the yard away from my WiFi router, and closed inside weather tight metal boxes, I’m occasionally experiencing a connection issue. If I leave the door open on the pool panel, it’s never a problem. So I’ve come up with a solution. I’m going to cut about a 10 inch square out of the door on the panel, right over the switch location and Install a lexan window. $10 worth of lexan and a one hour project.

I’m so happy to see all this work that I even added a few of the Martin Jerry smart plugs at $11 each to control my patio and barbecue area lights. This is quite the system and I’m still in at about a total of $150 and a couple afternoons work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I received my Wion switch, I removed the internal module and found the external antenna wire disconnected from the back of the circuit board. Sounds like another Amazon reviewer had the same issue.

If the window doesn't help your reception, maybe you can extend the pigtail and mount the antenna for the Wion on the outside wall of the shed?

Just a thought. Glad you got it all set up.

When I received my Wion switch, I removed the internal module and found the external antenna wire disconnected from the back of the circuit board. Sounds like another Amazon reviewer had the same issue.

If the window doesn't help your reception, maybe you can extend the pigtail and mount the antenna for the Wion on the outside wall of the shed?

Just a thought. Glad you got it all set up.

The WiOn switch is working just fine, it’s the 110v smart switches that drop offline occasionally. They are just the standard household wall type switches that are located inside my main pool panel. To improve the WiFi signal getting to the switches, I’m adding the lexan window in the pool panel right in front of the switches.

Wish the automated pool equipment would work with Alexia or Google Home...be nice to just say "turn on pool" light or "turn on filter pump" No pushing a button or pulling up an app on a phone.

That’s exactly what I did. I can now control my pool light, spa light, spa pump and heater. All, on or off, by talking to Alexa, or when away from home via iPhone app. And all for a total cost of less than $200!

Last edited:
How did you do it?

Read my posts #6 and #10. The equipment I used is all listed. The lights were just a case of replacing a couple of existing standard wall switches with smart switches. The 220v pump circuit took a bit more effort to re wire to the WiOn controller. Then it’s just a matter of installing apps on your phone, logging switches into the apps, then linking the apps with the Alexa app.

I use a lot of Zwave Enerwave ZWN-RSM1-PLUS modules you wire into light switches to control lights in my home, but they require 120volts. The junction box is close enough to my house for wireless applications, so I wonder if I could wire these in between my pool relays and the breaker? And then would the old key pad still work or go away?

https://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-ZWN-RSM1-PLUS-Wireless-Control-Required/dp/B01G7OD1F8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1533239086&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Enerwave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.