Why Salt

Thank you Dirk. I will try to use the TFP lingo in the future. Also I appreciate the additional information.
Your lingo is fine, everyone here knows what you meant. That's not what I was pointing out. A lot of people misunderstand saltwater pools and think they don't have chlorine in them (like I once thought), when, of course, they do. Even if you knew that, some threads here get read by visitors to the site, so we're sometimes talking to them as much as you, the OP (original poster)...

Does this pool guy have some sort of business in the sale of chlorine tablets or chemicals? Perhaps he wants you to need to buy a lot more chemicals than we ever would suggest.

My salt pool costs no more than $150 per YEAR for all the testing reagents and chemicals we need. Because I have a salt water chlorine generator ("SWG" in TFP lingo) I can go on vacations to Europe yearly and still come home to a pristine clear, clean pool. I've never once had algae in 9 years of ownership. I'd say that speaks for itself, huh?

As for equipment, we bought the SWG once, and the cell lasted 8 years. We bought a generic replacement cell for about $300 and its working well so far. Pro-rate that expense over the years of service and it really isn't very expensive at all. How much is your convenience worth to you on top of that??

Tell us more about your pool now. Like, how is it chlorinated? How and Who does the testing? Any problems??

Maddie :flower:
1 AquaRite, As of now the pool guy, Yes. Multi-port valve leaking, SWG display showing 1700 when pool store tested it at 3200

Reactions: damon5683
Well, you need your *own* salt water test (Taylor K-1766). The thing is I don't trust my device to give me accurate salt readings. I do trust my own testing tho'.
Cold water could be affecting the device, if its even working properly to make salt in this cold weather? I just don't make any salt additions/changes based on the device and allow my testing to guide me.

My multiport valve is leaking too with little sputters down the domed filter, and will be addressed in the spring.

Well, you need your *own* salt water test (Taylor K-1766). The thing is I don't trust my device to give me accurate salt readings. I do trust my own testing tho'.
Cold water could be affecting the device, if its even working properly to make salt in this cold weather? I just don't make any salt additions/changes based on the device and allow my testing to guide me.

My multiport valve is leaking too with little sputters down the domed filter, and will be addressed in the spring.

Tks. Will be searching for test kit. The man has replaced the multiport and changed the o-ring twice.

Check with you local pool stores to see if they have a Hayward salt cell tester, most Leslie's have them. If you can find a store that has a tester remove the cell and have the store test it. When you remove the cell look to see if the plates are clean or if there is a build up on them. If there is a build up on them that could cause a lower reading on the salt level. Let us know and we'll tell you how to clean it before you have it tested.

Reactions: Leebo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.